Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pots for EMG/Aguilar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lonotes, Nov 26, 2005.

1. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I have a Spector NS2000/5 that I have installed EMG 40DC's and an Aguilar OBP-3 into. When I bought the Aggie, I got it prewired with all of the pots included. I love the way everything sounds, but I have problems with the pots. First, the blend pot functions more like a toggle switch. Full on bridge, or full on neck position is just what you would expect, but the closer to the center detent you get, the less output you have. At the detent, you have maybe 30-40% of the output that you have with either pickup full on. Bass and treble are on a concentric pot that, to me, feels loose and wobbly like it's about to fall apart. Essentially, the pots feel cheap and poorly constructed, and I want to replace them. I know that EMG's use different values for their pots. My question is, does the Aguilar overcome this difference, or would you still use the same pots that EMG recommends with no pre. I have searched this forum, and also EMG's website, but I have not found this specific question. I'm looking forward to suggestions regarding makers of top quality pots, as well as where to purchase online.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There are two separate issues here...

With regard to the blend pot, these usually are connected between the pickups and the input of the preamp. Since EMGs (active EMGs that is) like 25K ohm pots, I'd recommend that you use a 25K ohm blend pot so that you can get a good quality balance between pickups.

With regard to the concentric bass/treble control. The preamp's proper operation is dependent on having the exact values for the bass and treble controls. Aguilar has also chosen the taper that they need, along with features such as center detents, etc.

If the Aguilar's bass/treble control pot seems that wobbly, maybe you got a bad one. Give them a call and express your concerns, I'm sure that they'll make it right. (FWIW, concentric pots (with knobs) run close to $30 so you might want to have Aggie take care of it if it's under warranty).

You could get a blend pot for the EMGs from EMG (I had some problems with a BTS preamp that I bought and they took very good care of me).

I checked www.stewmac.com and they don't have a 25K blend pot. www.allparts.com does, part no. EP_4745-000 and it runs $12...look in the miscellaneous pots section.

Good luck!!!

3. lonotes

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Billy B

Thanks for the links. I bought the pre and pots from an online retailer nearly two years ago. Then the system sat on the shelf for several months until I decided that I just didn't have time to fool around with installing it. It was then installed by a local shop ( nearly a month tied up there :rolleyes: ). The pots weren't supplied by Aguilar, so it would be unreasonable for me to expect them to cover them under warranty, but maybe I should contact them for their recommendations.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hmmm...sounds like some of my projects (bass related and otherwise...):D

I think contacting them is a good idea...you never know what can happen.

Good luck!!!

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    btw, is it the bass/treble knob that seems wobbly or the pot itself?

A poorly mounted knob on a pot can make the pot seem wobbly when it's the knob itself.

6. lonotes

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Good thought, but the knobs are tight, at least the set screws are. I think that they are just not high quality pots. I have a EMG BQC in one bass, J/U Retro's in a couple of others. Those pots all feel solid and precise. These feel sloppy.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you looked at the pot inside the wiring compartment?

The metal cover on the back of them is usually crimped on with four little tabs. If the tabs are loose, the whole thing feels less than solid.

I use needle nose pliers to tighten them when the need arises.

8. lonotes

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    I just looked inside to check those tabs. None of these pots are built like that. No tabs on any of them. No identifying marks either ,ie manufacturer, values, nothing. However, the concentric pot has a hole in the center of the back. The end of the center shaft can be seen through that hole, and when you rotate the shaft, it's quite obvious that the shaft moves around in more directions than it's supposed to. It seems that the shaft is not supported well enough to allow for the leverage created by it's length. That sure explains the loose and wobbly feel. I hadn't really looked at this until your question about the tabs, so thanks for that. It's looking more and more like junk pots.