Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pots from the electronics store

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by clef360, Sep 28, 2003.

1. anything wrong with using pots from an electronics store such as Radioshack or Fry's electronics? if so, why? Also, if it's ok, which ones should i get? there's linear taper and audio taper, and whatever else. Thanks

2. Personally from a electronics tech point of view. They are fine. The humble bassist cannot tell the difference IMO between a radio shack pot and a $26 brand name pot.

The only thing you can come up against is the lifespan of the volume control. But hey, for the $2 price, if it lasts you 5 years, then thats pretty good going.

There are some people... we have a special term for them and it starts with W and ends in A..... tend to think that if its not expensive... its crap.

:D:D

Merls

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If it fits the hole(s) and has the right value and taper, that's good enough for me.

Most volume and tone controls on basses are 250K ohm or 500K ohm, audio taper.