1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pots question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lwleaver, Jun 1, 2005.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    So , I have a 93 Modulus Quantum and it is doing something odd. I every bass I have ever owned the volume control is gradual up or down. Sounds pretty logical. On this one as soon as I turn the knob like like 10 degrees the volume is non-existant. I am not sure if it is the pot going bad or what, but I have a show on Friday and do not have the time to get it replaced. Is there something I can do to test it out to determine the exact problem? Oh, I just replaced the battery and am still having the same problem.

Thanks and much appreciation.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Has this volume pot always behaved in this manner? If so, I believe it's because it is a Linear taper pot (even mathematical drop-off along the entire sweep and is perceived as all of the drop happening in a small turning angle of the pot) What you probably will want to do is have it replaced with an Audio taper pot (drop-off is logorithmic and is perceived as dropping evenly in volume to our ear)

Of course, I may have this entirely backwards ....

R

3. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I believe it has only been recently. I am sick as a dog right now and I am having trouble remembering what I had for breakfast. I have only had the bass for a few months, but I really noticed it at a show on Friday and it scared the hell out of me. I then replaced the battery thinking it could be that, but it did not make a difference. I guess like anything mechanical the pot could be going bad, but since I may be without a back up for a show on Friday, I know, I know, i would hate to screw it up this close to a show and have to settle for something to get by. My new bass should be coming in tomorrow but since it is coming in from Canada i do not know if customs or fees might delay it's arrival.