Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pots question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lwleaver, Jun 1, 2005.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    So , I have a 93 Modulus Quantum and it is doing something odd. I every bass I have ever owned the volume control is gradual up or down. Sounds pretty logical. On this one as soon as I turn the knob like like 10 degrees the volume is non-existant. I am not sure if it is the pot going bad or what, but I have a show on Friday and do not have the time to get it replaced. Is there something I can do to test it out to determine the exact problem? Oh, I just replaced the battery and am still having the same problem.

Thanks and much appreciation.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Has this volume pot always behaved in this manner? If so, I believe it's because it is a Linear taper pot (even mathematical drop-off along the entire sweep and is perceived as all of the drop happening in a small turning angle of the pot) What you probably will want to do is have it replaced with an Audio taper pot (drop-off is logorithmic and is perceived as dropping evenly in volume to our ear)

Of course, I may have this entirely backwards ....

R

3. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I believe it has only been recently. I am sick as a dog right now and I am having trouble remembering what I had for breakfast. I have only had the bass for a few months, but I really noticed it at a show on Friday and it scared the hell out of me. I then replaced the battery thinking it could be that, but it did not make a difference. I guess like anything mechanical the pot could be going bad, but since I may be without a back up for a show on Friday, I know, I know, i would hate to screw it up this close to a show and have to settle for something to get by. My new bass should be coming in tomorrow but since it is coming in from Canada i do not know if customs or fees might delay it's arrival.