Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pots that "hide" in your bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    If you have any Tone-lok Ibanez pedals, you know about the knobs that lock into the case when you press on them, then pop up when you press again. I was wondering if there are any commercially available pots that would do this, so you could pop the knob into the body and pop it out. This would best be implemented with wood knobs, and, imo, would be really cool. Anybody seen these?

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Never. I don't know if its possible actually. Guitar pots are built a little different from those tone and eq knobs on pdeals and stereos. If you did do it, the knobs would definately have to be skinnier than normal.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am thinking that the Tone-Loc (funky cold medina) pedals' knobs are more complex than just a knob, aside from being different range than what a bass needs. This is a good idea, though, I was just trying to think of a similar concept.

Basses that have piezo systems have the trim pots in the back that adjust volume with a screwdriver. I was trying to think of a way to do tone controls in the same way so you could have just a volume up front and have a pre-set EQ section in the back, through the control cover. That seems more possible. It would also look rather snazzy.

The problem you'd run into with the push/push would be the stress on the innards. As you know most pots mount through a surface, whereas these would be mounted internally and not even touch the body. You'd need everything mounted inside, then have that mounted to the wood in the body. The system would need constant attention.

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    As far as mounting, I was thinking of something like this:

|....................|<---open space
    |....................|
    |&&&&&&&&&|<---solid surface on which the pot would be mounted
    |....................0<---hole through which the wire would go.
    | ...................|<---open space

I don't really think this is going to be doable, but if it was, I would love it.

New wacky idea: a pot built into the horn of the bass (obviously not the one bearing weight) so that you can turn the tip of the horn for volume/tone/whatever. I wouldn't really want this, but it would be unique, to say the least.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You could go with recessed knobs like Leduc.
    [​IMG]

6. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    How do they work? Do you move them with one finger (like scratching a record)?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes, exactly like that.
    I don't know what's inside, but he probably just cut the top of the pots to cap them with the knobs.