Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pots too big.. or something like that

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JMN357, Apr 2, 2005.

1. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    i put in my EMG jazz set finally and realized that the pots are fine and all, but my control knobs dont fit on... the shaft is too long.. anyone else ever have this problem and how do you resolve this?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Yep, if you're going to be making virtually any mod to a bass get used to the idea that "drop in" is just a concept. Doesn't exist in the real world unless it was specifically designed for a given application - ie. retro's in a Fender. A "drop in" otherwise is a freak accident. The simplest thing like you're talking is the norm. So get used to thinking in terms of what could go wrong with a proposed plan and how to get around it to make it work.

If the shaft is simply too long you may be able to shim the pot (add washers - or whatever - to pull the pot down) "IF" there's enough thread to get a nut on once you do so.

If they're press-on knobs, personally I'd throw them in a drawer till you sell the bass. Screw/allen screw knobs are the best knobs I've seen and I prefer the EMG knobs myself. Even with screws you may have to drill the knobs out to get them to slip over the pot shaft if they're not large enough or wrap the stems if they're too sloppy.

Whacking the stems off is probably not a good idea.

Welcome to the club.

3. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    which there isnt... anyone know of any redicolously tall knobs out there?

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm confused.... you put in a set of EMG Jazz pups, and the control knobs don't fit?

I assume this is more than a set of pups.... must have come with new pots, I'm guessing?

If that's the case, I'd be inclined to shoot off an Email to EMG (or whoever you purchased the new pots from).... I'd think they've run into it before, and can steer you to some knobs that fit......

5. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    ya they sell the set with new pots because they're active... i'll email them and see

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Pulled a random pot with a stem length of 3/4" and 1/2" of thread. An EMG knob will take up about 1/2" of stem length leaving about 1/4" of bass or pickguard to take up the slack. Some basses and pickguards are only 1/8" of inch thick which would leave an 1/8" gap which may appear wierd looking - especially with small diameter knobs like EMGS.

Pots come in a myriad of shaft length, diameters, and threads - from various bass manufacturers that is. But most distributors that handle pots (ie Stewmac) offer long and short stem lengths. The problem is most the shorter lengths are designed for Fenders (because of the thinner pickgaurd) and therefore they typically have a larger diameter shaft and pot size (like Fender) which means your existing knobs would not fit them without being drilled out, the pot diameter itself may be to large to fit into through the pothole and clear the side of the control bay, and the pot holes them sells would have to be drilled out to make the pot fit. It's also possible the pot stem threading would be too short to thread a nut.

If you don't have a pickguard you could have a "decorative" one fashioned to act as a filler.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Lots of companies make different pot heights, diameters, cases, etc. I usually just use a hacksaw to trim their height, many companies make them overly long just for this purpose. Er...just make sure you remove them from the bass before trimming their height ;) .

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you bought them from EMG they should have came with the knobs. Are you sure you've back the screws out far enough to make sure the knobs are dropping completely down (be careful backing the screws out so you don't back them all the way out and loose them)?

If you do take a hacksaw to them I would securely anchor the stem, use a very fine tooth saw, and take it very easy. Some stem are soft aluminum and easy to cut, some are brittle like pot motel.

The reason I chuck press on knobs is cause early on I had a frimly fitted press-on pull the pot stem out when I removed the knob. That could easily happen trying to cut them.