1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pots Too big??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Oct 4, 2009.

1. I ordered a jazz bass wiring kit for my sx pj, and the pots were about double the size of the one's that were attached to the bass. The tone pot doesn't fit in the hole provided to me by sx. Am I missing something or did sx screw me on this one? My thought for an initial "make it work" is to bypass the tone, and put one of the crappy sx pots on there so I don't just have a hole. I realize that a dremmel could make easy work of this, however, I don't have one, and don't really plan on buying one right now.

Any thoughts, or anyone have a 250k pot that is smaller that I should know about?

2. SX uses mini pots in their basses.
    Apparently their routing work is too small to fit full sized pots, so you are going to have to use mini pots again.

3. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I have only ever seen pots of one size in either a guitar or bass. Every site I've seen for guitar/bass stuff has all one size. I think SX may have buggered up your order. Try www.stewmac.com

4. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Never mind. The above post came up as I was publishing mine.

5. ?
    I have seen an equal number of guitars and basses use full size pots as I have seen use mini pots.

Most dealers I go to usually sells both, depending on what type of pot you are looking for.

6. This being my only bass I'm going to bypass the tone for now and ill try first to find a 259k mini pot locally to avoid 6 dollars shipping on one tone pot.

Thanks for the help guys.

Line6 you're on it man.

Also, in bypassing the tone I would ground the bridge wire to the second volume pot, correct?

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You could get a $1 drill bit to fix the problem....

8. Yes, or any other place that's grounded properly.

9. Upon further inspection, It doesn't seem like there is a lot of room between the rout and the edge of the pickguard. I'm just going to get a mini 250kohm pot sometime. As for now, no tone for me. I don't use it anyways, so it's not a big deal.