Potty Mouth

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bass element, Feb 12, 2005.

1. anybody here ever have their parents pissed at them for having screaming and cussing in their lyrics? my mom just said she would be dissappointed but i think my dad would be pissed, haha.

oh, i guess i should tell you im 18 and a senior in high school. i guess this would be a pretty pathetic post if i was 30 something and still worrying about whether or not mom and dad dissapprove of my music, haha. :smug:
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If you believe it is required for every tune you write then you got more to worry about than your parents. :)
  3. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    you need to do what is right for you. you play music to express yourself...if swearing is a part of what you need to do to express yourself, than go f*in crazy!

as for mom/dad's approval...if they may be buying you your next bass if you keep your words clean, it may be worth losing a little artistic integrity to get a sweet new axe...;)
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Unrelated, but the post reminded me of something. I teach in a H.S. and was team teaching with a really hot teacher one day. A kid cursed and she said, "Watch it with your potty mouth in here!" Had I said that I'd have lost every ounce of respect I have from the students, but she's hot - so she got away with it. Guys can't say potty mouth and keep their respect. Sorry.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I down with that.
  6. point well taken, haha. i'll have to redeem myself somehow.
  7. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    It is a pretty cool band name, especially if there is no profanity.

Glenn D.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products

9. personally i don't care about cursing in music, it doesn't really matter so long as it isn't too repetitive. all and all though, it doesn't matter to me cuz i don't sing in my group
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    kinda related.
    back when i was in HS, i was good friends with a death metal band called Black Wytche. Nice guys, (really). anyhow, they practiced at the bass player's house and the singer would tape his lyrics to the support poles. One day the BP's father came downstairs when his son and i were hanging out. He looked over a new song called "the psycho crypt", looked at us, and says. "where the hell does he come up with this S***??"
  11. I don't see what's so wrong with teachers swearing.

All my teachers except like 3 swear regularly. And only 1 of them really lets students get away with swearing a lot. I just don't see what the big dealy is about, they're just words, people are way too over sensitive these days.

And on a related note(like IvanMike)

I was at a friends house and me and another friend were there, and friend B had gotten a saxophone to practice and play with, and friend A's Dad came into the basement and was like "Play Fly Me To The Moon" and Friend B played some bad notes, cause he didn't know how to play it, and the Dad went "What the F*** was that!?"

Funny s***
  12. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    another related note. i used to be in some metal band and we practiced at the drummer and guitarists house. their parents would always pretend to like the music until company came over and they'd say they hated this "metal crap". so then i started playing some cumbia music (we're all mexicans) and the parents liked it for about a secont' until we kicked into a metallica song.

it was also funny s***
  13. Back in college we played a venue that was more "parent-friendly". The band decided to invite the folks and let them have a listen at what their sons had been putting time into.

We never played with a set list...we just kinda felt the crowd out and taylored the performance to the reaction. Our singer cleaned the lyrics up (he wrote most of the songs), but that was the least of his problems. His on stage antics were close to convulsions when he got going, and he did not disappoint that night. Topping it off, he chose to close with a song loosely based on his childhood and his parents. They left shortly after the lyrics "**** dad" were sung.

As a band, we didn't question his motives....as friends, we dogged him for the public disrespect.

On topic: I understand most lyrics are personally written, but they needn't include an out-right curse fest. Our current singer can convey any emotion he wants without going off. Your parents are mad? Respect their opinion and do your best to explain yours.

14. you know what the problem is? it is just disrespectful man, if people sware to me i tell them straight up that its not cool. swaring is the feble minds attempt to express itself. i can understand occasunaly like if you fall or somthing but people sware now just to sware and its really tacky and cheap. dont get me wrong i know how it can just work into your vocabulary i listen to a lot of rap and until i met my girlfriend i use to be really bad for it. but when you stop to think about it, what does it really add to the music/conversation. if you cant have a conversation without swaring im not going to waste my time talking to you and i think more and more people are starting to think like me
  15. I started using the phrase "potty mouth" when I was in an Army training school. There was a guy who had the full on "Flava Flav" teeth and one of the instructors referred to him as "Mr. Potty Mouth." I thought it was funny- so I appropriated it.

Since I moved in with my girlfriend who has kids, I've started using the word "potty" instead of "to the bathroom" as matter of course. I now also use the word "poop" a lot.
    Just words that are crude and reflect negatively on the speaker. Yes, I have a potty mouth too. I try not to cuss in front of the kids though, and I expect that their teachers would do the same. When I was a kid parents would reprimand us for "hell," "stupid," "damn" or even "dummy."
    A lot of the "profanity" used on television "these days" would not have made it into scripts in "those days." I'm not saying the world is circling the bowl or that there's some sort of moral crisis in America- just don't cuss in front of the kids, and kids shouldn't cuss until they're 18. Then it's more of a reflection on who you are vs. how you're being raised.
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i don't feel the need to swear :D

i do however go to a great club called potty mouth.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When writing, I almost never use them. And if I do (I think all of twice in dozens of songs over the past couple years), it's usually for a specific reason. When used for effect, they can be handy, but when used as punctuation, they're worthless.
  18. well, i wasn't talking about swearing in the sense of using it in a conversation. i ment in the lyrics of songs.
    anyways, i dont think someone should be considered feeble minded just for implementing a swear word into some of their lyrics. because of society today, which uses swear words regularly which i dont really condone, people are more accustomed to hearing them. they can help amplify the emotions that are trying to be conveyed.
    for example, the F-word. this word can convey the most extreme amount of anger possible. i know that there are many other ways of expressing anger, for example, but sometimes the F-word can really just sum it all up. now, as for not being to hold a convo without cussing, well thats the cusser's problem, haha. but, i dont agree with having swear words being put into songs just for the fun of it. it should be used to help convey an emotional message.
  19. Hatman

Feb 11, 2004
    Shropshire UK
    So far I've only written one song with a swear in it which the singer will change to "going off soon" (as opposed to f***ing off soon) if we're playing a family gig. We also do a cover of a**h*le by Denis Leary (which we just drop for family gigs) but when my parents decided to come to a gig, for the first time since I left school, I did warn them that the fourth song of the second set was called a**h*le and that it had quite a bit of swearing in it (they are very religious and do not approve you see). I did this out of respect for my parents as I didn't want them to be offended by the amount of swearing. BTW I am 30 and I still have enough respect for my parents not to swear in front of them (unless they come to a gig that is :D ).
  20. They can also keep your song off the radio. My first bad recorded around 10 songs. There were a bunch of really cool, fun songs. Unfortunately, every song- except one- had the "eff" word prominently featured. The local college station wouldn't beep out the cussing and we managed to get one song on the radio. It could have been a few other "better" songs... I learned a lesson that early.