1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pow! I've landed in San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you notice the country starting to tip over, it's because I've finally arrived in San Francisco.

I've got no job, no place to live, and few prospects. Despite all that, I'm having a blast already. I've worn myself out walking all over the place, hanging out a few street fairs, and visiting old friends. I'm so glad to not be trapped in New Orleans, where it's too hot to even go out doors, the cost of living has skyrocketed, and the quality of living has plummeted. I'm sad to leave my once beloved city behind, but I just couldn't deal with post Katrina New Orleans anymore.

So yeah. I'm here. Woot.

2. Glad to hear you made it there in one piece.

3. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Good luck. You certainly didn't pick somewhere where the cost of living is low. But, it's a very nice city to be/live/play in.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Welcome back to the Bay!

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ugh. I'm from there, lived there on and off more than half my life, and it hasn't been a nice place to live, be, or play in for years. I mean sure you can have some fun visiting, but I wouldn't stay there. The music scene is people talking on their cell phones while a DJ poses in the corner. Artists can't afford to live there. Drivers will run you down, without looking back, if you have the temerity to try and cross at a crosswalk.

About the only thing good in SF is the Mission, and there's only so much time you can spend hanging out in the Mission.

Ben, if you pass by Rainbow Grocery Coop, those are my peeps, stop in and check it out. I worked there for many years.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I feel your presence. :)

7. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    welcome

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Ah, you're in my hood now. I'll be seeing you in November...

Run while you still can, the music scene does indeed suck.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    *checks watch* Well, you haven't complained about being bored there yet, so you must really like it.;)

'Tis a fine city to visit, but I've never been there for more than a couple days at a time.

10. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hehe, you think New Orleans is overpriced?

The excitement of hanging out at street fairs will soon wear off, the excitement of being somewhere new will also wear off, the weather will turn wet and gray, and then you'll be ready to get the heck out of there.

-Mike

12. Why is the cost of living so high in N.O.? Why else does it blow?

I thought the music scene there was healthy?

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I bet you do.

Actually, the cost of living in SF is about the same as New Orleans. Gas prices are the same, groceries in NOLA have skyrocketed, rents are pretty close to SF prices. At least in SF you don't need a car nor car insurance, so that helps even things out quite a bit.

NOLA is a mess, and will be a mess for a long time. The music scene is only moderately healthy if you play the same tired old New Orleans standards of blues, funk, or jazz. I made an ok living playing bass there, but I had a hell of a time booking some of my own solo acoustic work, which falls very much outside of the norm. Club owners pay very little, and the biggest money is made playing to tourists on Frenchmen Street. If you want to do anything different in New Orleans, you might as well forget about it. NOLA has plenty of other problems - high rent, high food prices, mongrel politics, rampant crime, high taxes, poor roads, awful traffic, stifling heat for 10 months and crippling cold for 2 months, no music stores... I could go on and on. It's not the same place after Katrina, and probably never will be. The magic is gone, and I'm saddened to leave it behind.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    There is a lot of good in SF.
    Lot of culture, lot of beauty, lot of fun to be had, if you can hack the cost of living.
    I haven't been involved in the music scene there since the early '80's, so I can't comment on its suckage or lack thereof.
    But in any city, there's bound to be good musicians looking to play with other good musicians.
    So - good luck and have fun.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've always found SF to be a pretty good music scene. Yeah there are the DJ places, but that's not what I'm talking about. Pick up a weekly newspaper to see what going on locally. Don't be afraid to go into the gay part of town either. There are great things everywhere if you keep your eyes open.

16. Whoa. Sounds kinda grim. Damn.

Hope you like SF. What about over the bridge in Oakland?

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't do suburbs.

18. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Fabulous.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Man, what a bummer. I had never been there before Katrina, so I have no point of reference. But I could see that it was something great at one point. The last time I left, I had hopes it would get back to normal some day.

-Mike

20. Tell everyone I said peace :ninja: