1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powder coating a bridge piece(s)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g4string, Jan 4, 2012.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have a Lakland bridge I would like to black out. I am wondering how does traditional powder coating compare to the finishes that are on commercially available black finished hardware. Is it the same?? I know there are some other finish options in the gun world that would translate to what I am looking at....but prob will cost a few more bucks than a traditional powder coat.

Any help?? Thx!!

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    most commercially available black hardware is powder coated, but some like Ibanez's cosmo black is actually a plasticized enamel coating.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Take it to a chrome shop and have it "Black Chromed"

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I was amazed when I took the Hipshot factory tour to see they just use a regular old kitchen stove for their powder coating. :)
    Oh an FYI, guess who makes the bridges for Lakland? ;)
    Dirk

5. whodom

whodom

Mar 3, 2006
    Salters, SC
    You can buy home powder coating kits from auto restoration supplier Eastwood:

Hotcoat Deluxe Powder Coat Kit

You might want to check with the wife/GF before using your oven though. :D

kulit17 likes this.