Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DubDubs, Aug 24, 2004.

1. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking of getting a new setup and for a poweramp I really want the Aguilar DB 728 I've found a good deal for it but even at the price I can get it for it's still a bit too expensive and I still probably wont get it so I'm also looking at the SWR Power 750. Is this a good power amp? I'm not going to have anything for a preamp for a little bit so does it sound good with no eq? I've heard that the DB 728 because of the tubes puts out great sound even without any kind of preamp but I haven't heard much about the Power 750. Also the 750 puts out 450w RMS at 8ohms. I have a 400w cab, is the likely hood of me blowing my speakers high using the 750 or do you think my cab could take it? It's a GK 410BLX.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The Aguilar 728 is a very nice piece, indeed. It also weighs 57 lbs. and takes up four rack spaces. If you needed to re-tube it, that would cost you (someone help me out with exact numbers) several hundred $'s. You will need a pre amp.

The SWR 750 weighs 33 lbs. and takes up three rack spaces. Because it is solid state it needs no tubes. You will need a pre amp. I could afford the DB728 but I am quite satisfied with my SWR 750 power amp.

As to your cabinet, you are more likely to blow speakers with too little power than too much. Within reason, of course.

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yea I think I'll probably end up with the Power 750 but I'll try for the DB 728. As for a preamp, I don't have too much to spend do you think the Aguilar DB 924 outboard would be able to hold me over untill I can afford an I.O.D, DB 659, or any other nice rackmount preamp?

4. Power's power's power. If you really want TUBE power, then consider the Mesa Strategy or Coliseum power amps. They're all tube. If you don't care if you've got tube or SS power, there's many other options than just the SWR and you don't have to limit your power amp choices to those made by bass amplifier manufacturers. You can find smaller, lighter, and much higher powered amps for less money. (cough[QSC Plx]cough)

ps. You can get an ultra-reliable 1200-1600 watt amp, plus the Aguilar Rackmount Preamp for about the price of the Aguilar power amp. Seriously.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How much do the QSC's go for. Also I don't really need 1600w 400w-600w is all I really need. For the volume I need 300w would even be enough I just need something more powerful than my 125w. I do want a power/preamp instead of a head but I might end up having to get a head for now becasue even though I can afford a power amp it's affording a nice preamp on top of that that's the problem.

6. Then I suggest the RMX Series, if you're on a budget...Here's the Ebay Listings for them. You can spend a little more and go for the PLX series, which are lighter weight.

Otherwise, you might consider Carvin power amps. They are, by far, their most respected product line. You can get a 600 watter for $319 or a 1200w for $469. Here's the link.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The Carvin DCM600 looks pretty nice. 450w at 8ohm mono is perfect and it's a good price so I'd be able to afford a nice preamp along with it. What preamps do you recommend for under $700? Is the solid state BBE B-Max any good?

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Spend a little more for a QSC (or something else) and look for a good pre amp. There are a number of pre amps you can buy new for under $700 and you can find the higher-end ones used for the same money or less.

You can do better than Carvin. The QSC RMX line is a very good amp for the money. Take your time and spend wisely. Get what sounds good to you and try it before you buy it.

9. Get a Stewart World 600. They're 9lbs., 1 rack space, 600 watts bridged and fairly inexpensive

10. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think I'm gonna go with the Carvin DCM600. Now I'd like to know what's a good preamp for under $600. Is the BBE B-Max solid state preamp any good?

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Carvin? Well... enjoy your minimal warranty and higher risk of malfunctions. :rolleyes:

Dont look at me... I'm not the one writing the reviews for those things. Some are pleased with Carvin's overall quality... but I will 100% guaran-damn-tee you that Carvin's reputation is by far nothing compared to that of QSC. You'll get crap service if you ever run into a problem down the line. And EXPECT problems with ANY brand you buy from... you never know.

An RMX850 is $300 new and simply a better piece of equipment. You'll have likely all the headroom you'll ever need. I'm not saying that 600Watts isnt enough.... but having 230 more Watts is fine.... actually better, since you wont have to push your amp hard at all. Or you can run stereo, if your really playing somewhere small. Plus... same price.... better quality... better service..... I fail to see your logic, really. Stewart, QSC, Crown, Crest, Peavey, and Yamaha.... I wouldnt stray to far from those brands when shopping for a power amp.

As for a preamp... with a $700 budget, you could actually land the Bmax-t, if tubes are your thing. If not... the SS version is about $300, as I recall. It's closest relative out there is probably the Tech21 Sansamp RBI, or RPM.

If you want to enter the tube world... you could probably afford a used Demeter, or a new Ampeg SVP-CL or SVP-PRO ($500 each). A lot is based on what you want to sound like.

12. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's a nice price and I would buy the QSC but there are 2 problems. The first one is that the 8ohm briged output is 600w and my speaker's only rated at 400. Even if the cab can take the power there is a bigger problem. The QSC's only have speakon out's and my cab doesn't have a speakon jack. It has a single 1/4" jack. It's a cheap GK 410BLX.

I think I've come up with a solution. For the power thing, would it hurt to run the amp in parallel or setreo modes but only connect one channel? If so I would only be pumping 200w into the amp. Still a little underpower but it's currently running fine on even less power. I would run it like that untill I can afford a higher rated cab like the eden 410XLT or Aguilar GS 410 and then run it briged.

13. For what it's worth DubDubs, I play a QSC PLX bridged at 3400 watts into two cabinets rated at 700 watts each. As you read through Talkbass, you'll find that most people RECOMMEND that you get at least double the power for your cabinet rating. The reason is headroom and amplifier clipping...and the explanation would take too long.

From what I've seen whilst reading here for 2 years is that QSC, Stewart, Crown, and Crest power amps get all the love. Carvin gets NO LOVE here. Those of us that actually like their products get the beat down every time it's mentioned, and (mostly) by people who have never played through their products. The fact that you live in LA and are close to a retail outlet (or the factory in San Diego) is good from the customer service standpoint.

Personally, I'm biased toward QSC, and highly recommend them...The qualms you have about them are easily remedied: 600w into your 400w cabinet is perfectly fine and will not harm the cabinet. You'll do more harm underpowering a cab. Also, they make Speakon-to-1/4" speaker cables. I use them with my cabinets. If you're shelling out $1000 for a new rig, I think you can afford $30 for a new cable that does the job.

For Preamps, $700 is a great budget. I play the Sansamp RBI, which I got for $300. The BBE Bmax is well regarded around here and they go for $300. The Bmax-T (the T stands for Tube) goes for $600+. You could find an Alembic F1-x which is awesome. Go to www.basstasters.com A guy named vanselus, who is on Talkbass alot, set up this site which has audio samples of most of the preamps available. It's a tremendous resource and helps alot when deciding on what you want.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    This is very true. It's the same thing for loudspeakers as well. If you have 2 say JBL 15"s with a horn, and each are about 500 watts RMS, you want an amp that will push about 1000 watts per channel into each speaker. I know it sounds weird, and I used to not believe it, but I'm going to be pushing just under double what my Mesa 6x10 can handle and I've heard from the previous owner and others that this is the way to go. Remember- with headroom, you can always turn down , but you can't always turn up , and it really sucks when you just have to, and can't.
    I've heard great things about both BBE preamps. Plus you have to subtract at least $100 or so because it has the Sonic Maximizer included in both, which is a great feature.

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ok so with all this information I think I've decided I'm going to get a QSC RMX850 or if I have the cash a PLX1202. For a preamp I'm going to get the solid state B-Max because it's cheap and I've heard good things about it and after that I will probably have enough money for a power conditioner and maybe a cheap rack case.