1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

power amp advice please

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    trying to start putting together a pa sys on a budget fro my band. i'm trying to find decent used stuff to stretch my money. i came across a good deal on a peavey pv2600. this is 900w per channel, i will need it to run subs and tops for a couple small shows untill i can add either a bigger amp for subs or equal or smaller for mains. is 900w for subs and 900w for tops enough to get me started? mostly doing small bars 50-75 people. thanks

2. If that's all you have, then you don't have much choice, right? Typically, folks use quite a bit more power on subs compared to tops. But without knowing the style of music, size of room, and type of speakers, it's hard to tell if you will be OK. I'd suggest trying it out to see what your ears tell you.

3. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    we play hard and classic rock, small bars. i do have other choices like behringer ep4000 but i'm kinda scared of them. trying to get some quality.

4. Are you going to be using the P.A only? or do you plan to have backline as well. Is the P.Afor the whole band, or just vocals, keyboards and Kick drum?

5. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    vocals,2 guitars,drums, slight bass. understand i will be adding more amps. i just need a starting point and found the peavey. i was hoping its enought to get thru a couple small gigs till i can add more. then it cuold be used for 900w per side for subs, or for mains and get the pv3800 for subs

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    900w @ 4Ω per side is pretty good for starting out in small bars. two subs and two tops, a crossover, EQ, and small mixer and you'd be rockin'.

7. Blasto

Blasto

May 12, 2009
    I have this same amp. Be aware that you get 900 @ 4OHM x2. I think it is 450-500 per channel @ 8ohm. If you daisy chain tops on one side, bottoms on the other, THEN you will be seeing 450w per cab across the board... providing all 4 cabs are of 8ohm impedance.

8. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    This should suffice for your venue size.

9. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    this is exactly my plan,eventually another amp for mains and monitors and would then use the pv2600 for 2 8ohm subs per channel giving me 900w per channel into 2 8ohm 18's per side