Power Amp advice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by skwee, Sep 5, 2018.

1. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Hi, All:

The current power amp at my ChurchJob® (a Crest Audio VS650) is starting to whine and won't be with us for long, so I'm looking for a cost-effective replacement.

Here's a page with some specs--https://www.planetdj.com/crest-audio-vs-650

Any thoughts on what we could go with?

2. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    can't go wrong with Crown or QSC
    I've seen Crown amps last decades.

s0c9 likes this.
  3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Crests tend to live forever . . . are you sure it isn't just a $10 fan that needs replacing?

(Early Crests at least . . . I can't imagine getting "Peaveyed" helped things much . . .)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Downunderwonder likes this.
  4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    The fan--that's possible!

(I'm pretty sure this unit has been there for decades).

5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Could just be an accumulation of dust on the fan too, that might be causing the whine. Pull it out and give it a good cleaning, inside and out.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Second that . . .churches are typically terrible at doing any kind of PM . . . probably decades worth of crap in there, and maybe a dead mouse or two . . . When I hired into the church I support, some dolt had set two amps aside instead of getting things dealt with on a published Crown warrantable problem, as well as some "unforgivable sin" jerry rigging . . . Take care of it, and it will last a long time - church service is pretty easy on gear *IF* it's cared for . .

jon mccumber likes this.
  7. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Yeah--the system is really only on during the two Sunday services. thanks, all.

8. All the more chance for dead mouse buildup.

Lightening the dust load on the fans might take care of it. Or maybe the bearings dried out.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021