1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

power amp and cab conflict?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by participant, May 11, 2006.

1. participant

participant

Feb 7, 2005
    The cab I have is an Ampeg SVT-410hlf which has 4 ohm.

For an amp, I have the Ampeg B2R which is 350 W (w/ the 4 ohms) and I love the tone of it but frankly it just doesn't hold a candle to the 2 guitarists in the band I'm in (I have to squat down on the floor and put my ear to the cab to hear myself, grrr). And the kind of venues we can play in are all ghetto so they don't have a PA so I can't just mic my cab.

Sooooo, I've been considering just using it as preamp and getting a separate power amp. I have my eye on a QSC RMX 850. That's 830 watts at 4 ohms.

Here's where I don't know what I'm doing: I don't know if the RMX 850 will be okay with the 410hlf because I don't know how to read the specs for my cab. Its "program handling" is 1000 watts, but its "RMS handling" is 500 watts. What's the take-home message in that?

Because if what it really can handle is 500 watts then the 850 watt poweramp could potentially ruin my cab, right? Leave it to me to get carried away and eff it all up. I want to be super safe here.

2. that amp would kill your cab, and it wouldent be wise to get an amp that is more than the 500watt program handeling, the temptation to keep turning up would be to much, then you kill your cab, bear in mind that the 850 will peak aswell, and it will be way beyone the 1000 watt peak power handeling of your cab

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That amp will be fine with your cab, unless you run it on "10" pretty much all of the time. However, I don't think you'll see a HUGE volume increase. Perhaps it would be better if your gui****s would turn down a bit. (I know..wishful thinking)

4. yeah it is possible, but it would be hard to know when your realy pusing the drivers, other than distortion, so you might be running the amp at "5" and still be dammaging the speakers, and if your louder your guitarists will probably turn up again, then your at square one

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A general rule of thumb is to somewhat (like within about ±20%) match up the amp power rating to the loudspeaker's program power rating. Thus, if you avoid driving the amp into any significant clipping, you're unlikely to damage the loudspeaker.

So you have a 4Ω cabinet with a program power rating of 1000 watts, and a power amp with a 4Ω rating of 830 watts … that's a reasonable match.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is funny. When I first jumped on talk bass this was my main objective. I wanted to find out if this was possible. Wattage wise it is possible. You cab can handle it, but like someone else said you don't want it on 10 all the time. I set out to do this and it got complicated and crazy. Kind of like the tower of babel. I had a power amp running my second 600W cab and the power amp from my head running my first 600W head. It was crazy. It was loud. I had essentially 1600Watts. However in your case, I think you'd be happier adding a second cab. Or just trading out your head for the same preamp (not sure what the preamp is for the BTR) coupled with a bigger power amp. I just converted to a pre/power setup and for 450 bucks, I added 400Watts of juice and gained the warm dirty Ampeg sound from my SVT-BSP preamp. It's a simplier set up and configuration and I'm much happier. Oh yeah, I'm louder now too. I sold my Carvin R600 for 350 bucks, so essential this conversion wound up costing me 100 bucks. SOmething to consider.:)