power amp and cabinet help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gatogordo, Oct 10, 2011.

1. gatogordo

gatogordo

Sep 3, 2010
    For the past year I have been playing in a couple of praise bands at our church. I have been playing a Pbass with a BBE Bmax preamp running through a Roland keyboard combo (churches amp). I have been ask to play for a couple other PnW bands and its time to get my amp/cabinet.

I still want to keep my preamp and use a power amp.

So what is your opinion on a power amp and cabinet. Would like rack amp and light weight 1x15 or 2x10 250-300 watt.

Budget is $600-$700

Thanks for your opinion,

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Check out Daddys.com - Over 14,000 Used Instruments Online Daily. They have dozen of used power amplifiers for cheap. For an inexpensive cabinet, I'd recommend Avatar.

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    For the power amp, check with vlad335 and see if he's still got that QSC RMX-850 for sale. It's in the power range you want and it has a subsonic filter you can enable at either 30 Hz or 50 Hz, depending on the cab you eventually wind up with. (Use it!)

4. I'm currently using a Crown XLS 1000 power amp (9 lbs) and an Ampeg SVT 210AV cab for a nice lightweight rig. The preamp/power amp and speaker cab both weigh the same - 24.5 lbs each.

Rick B.

5. JHAz

JHAz

Jun 29, 2011
    I'd go to a GC and listen to the GK MBE cabs. There are 2 GCs near me, and they have only had the 115MBE, which is a nice sounding cab IMO. It's not going to get crazy loud, but my MB210 (the 210 version of that cab with an amp built in) will do about 116 dB at 6 feet in my living room before it starts compressing in highly unscientific testing. More volume than you're likely to need or be allowed to survive after playing that loud, in a P&W setting, IME. Plus they weigh nothing. 300 bucks for either the 115 or 210, and a 15 percent off coupon available through today, FWIW. Pick your poison on amps.

6. gatogordo

gatogordo

Sep 3, 2010
    I have a chance to look at an Ashdown Mag 210T cabinet, $130. Its rated at 250 watts @ 8 ohms. I would like to power it with the Crown XLS1000. Which states it is rated @ 215 watts @ 8 ohms per channel.

Is this a fit - amp/cab

Whats your opinion of the ashdown cabinet. It doesn't look light.

Thanks

7. gatogordo

gatogordo

Sep 3, 2010
    Would the Crown XLS1000 work with the G&K MBE410?

Would this work for small venues?

Whats the opinion of the G&K MBE Series?

Thanks

8. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    The 410mbe and that amp would be more than enough for a small venue. You will probably need to to roll off the bass a little. I've played it outside with a GK 1001RBII into an 8 ohm cab outside and it was fine. That is a very efficient cab

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If you are in North America, that's the point of the location in your profile, check out the light weight amps at carvin.com. I'm using their DCM1000L and it works beautifully.

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    This would work fine!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021