Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp and combo question!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elwo0d blues, Jun 19, 2002.

1. hey i use a workingmans 15 bass amp. its a great amp but its not loud enough for our LOUD gigs. i am buying a 1200 watt rms avatar 4x10, and a 1000 wattpower amp. is it at all possible that i run my bass to my workingmans, then run a line out (tuner or headphone) to a power amp (to get the swr preamp signal), and then a line out of the power amp to the 4x10?
    WOW that is insane, but i need power, and dont have enough for a nice preamp yet, im workin on it.
    is this at all possible?? would the power from the workingmans amp contradict the power from the 1000 watt pa amp?
    thanks guys

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I don't see what could go wrong.

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    The tuner signal out from the WM is a line level signal.......and should be enough 'signal' to drive the amp.

Should work......give it a whirl.

PJR

4. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....you might also try just adding the 4-10 cab to the WM via the 'ext' speaker out.

I used that very same setup for a few years with great results......was plenty loud for me..

PJR

5. i will add it to the wm ext.. the prob is that i have an older version that is only 160 watts w/ ext! oh well. thanks for the reply. later dude

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    If you plan on running it out the ext. jack of the WM 15 you're gonna need an 8 ohm cab. Not sure if 80W is gonna get you all the volume you want but you could try it, and then get that power amp when you need more power.

7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    you could use the effects loop send, instead of a tuner or headphone jack. I did this a couple of times with my WM 15 to power an eden 210XLT cab with a yamaha p2201 poweramp.