Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp and preamp, or combo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lildrgn, Sep 16, 2002.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hi,

I'm in a situation where I might be getting some new gear. Is there a difference (besides weight and size) in getting a combo head vs. a power amp and preamp?

I like the Ashdown EVO-900 a lot, but I've also seen their other setups. What do the "pros" at TB recommend?

TIA

Gwon

2. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I'm actually new to this setup - I had just gotten an SWR SM400s from the bass palace, but it died so I took it back - the only comparable setup they had for me to exchange it for was a Samson S700 power amp and an Alembic F2-B preamp. Aside from the preamp needing a repair, and a blown speaker (oh when does it end :( ), the actual sound is great. The preamp is in stereo too so I can set 2 separate eq's for each speaker cab.

3. Lildrgn --- I just switched from an Ampeg SVT 3pro to an F2-B Alembic with a Crown CE1000 poweramp. This gives me 1100 watts rms into 4ohms running bridged mono. The sound is incredible !! I love my Ampeg , but I'm starting to come to the realization that all the bells & whistles associated with the big name amplifiers don't necessarily translate into tone. My new rig is very simple ( but heavy !! ) and I have yet to hear an "all in one " setup that beats it , regardless of price !! One piece of advice -- if you are mounting your components in a rack , plug the power amp in a seperate outlet from the rest of the components. If you plug it into a power conditioner , etc , your output will be DRASTICALLY compromised , and also cause damage to the amp. Good Luck ...

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Versatility, basically is it. With separates, if you need more power you can just upgrade the amp. If you want to change your tone you can just change the pre-amp. Combos are a matter of convenience(sp?), everything in one box. Hope that helped

5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the replies, guys...

So, say I get the combo system. Head, 4x10, 1x15. Let's roughly estimate $1500 for the head, $500 for the 4x10 and $400 for the 1x15. For approximately $2400 or so, I'm out the door.

If I go the power/preamp route, I'd be looking at quite a bit more, huh? Let's say $900 for the 2 cabs, and then what, $1500 for a power amp and about the same for a preamp? I have no clue. I know it depends on brand, etc, but can anyone give me some general info? Plus I'll have to get a rack and stuff, right????

thanks

Gwon

6. The Crown CE1000 I am currently using was $400 brand new , and I found the Alembic pre-amp used for $450 , giving me an 1100 watt RMS amp for under a grand. I run ts system with 2 custom cabinets -- the first is 1x15", 1x12" with 2 bullets , the second being a single front loaded 18 ". All speakers are Eminence with 4' voice coils. Most speakers on the market have 2" voice coils so it takes much less wattage to drive them , but the rig as it stands now sounds awesome with headroom to spare . Even playing live in decent size clubs , I have yet to drive the preamp past "4". So far , so good -- if anything explodes into a fireball , I'l let you know !!!

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm getting a QSC PLX 1602 from lord valve. I won't say how much but it's way less than anybody is selling them. I'v been able to find SWR I.O.D. used for around 400 to 450. So that's way less than a 1500 head. Food for thought ;)

8. I was wondering why KIRKSFANGS doesn't recommend plugging the power amp into the power conditioner. I've almost completed building my new rack and haven't heard this one before. Any help?

9. Manco -- The reason is that the power amp sucks up so much juice that the power conditioner can't keep up with it. You get he best sound by giving the amp all the power it wants. I plug my tuner , preamp , and wireless system into my power conditioner , and the Crown plugs directly into a wall outlet , preferably one that isn't servicing any other electrical equipment. Hope this helps .

10. Thanks KIRKSFANGS. A big help.