Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp and preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NNbassest, Apr 16, 2005.

1. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    hey yall,
    i have a 212 Avatar cab, i play in a punk.ska band and need a bit more power then what ive got with the current head. can i use a Power amp and a Pre amp or just a power amp rather then a head?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Chances are, your bass doesnt send a hot enough signal to drive the power amp.

I'd get a carvin DCM1500 and a BBE pre, should be about $650... that would be perfect for what you need.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    depends on the power amp, and your bass. If your bass is active, has a battery, you'll probably have more luck using just a power amp. If your bass is passive, you might be ok but you might want to use a preamp, just to boost the signal to the point where the amp can make best use of it

You can use a power amp and a preamp too

4. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    active pickups. also i dont have more then 350 so thats why im askin. i was thinking Carvin850 or the QVC 1000

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you run srtaight from the bass into the power amp, you are relying on the strenght of the batteries to drive the amp. If you use a preamp, you always have a strong signal, even if your battery dies (provided you have a passive option on the bass). Also, a preamp provides many "nice to have" features, such as an effects loop, tuner out, direct out, etc.

6. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    GK backline 600, Hartke 3500, or pre amp/power amp setup

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    your battery will die pretty fast if you plug straight into a poweramp. you'll need some kind of preamp for long term use, or you can use the preamp on your existing head and use the preamp out, line out, or effects send to run a line to a poweramp.

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The battery dies faster depending on what it's plugged into?

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    What kind of head are you playing through right now? I'm curious because you mentioned that you were considering a Carvin, which, in my experience, is "liberally" rated, wattage-wise, and it may not be appreciably "louder" than what you have now, depending upon what it is you are currently using.*

*Heinous example of run-on sentence.

10. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    i jsut had a really low rated Peavey that i didnt like. i just need some power for under 400 bucks.

11. Say what???

12. typically peavey gear is very conservatively rated, meaning that it will be a "louder" X watts than the competition's X watts. if the peavey head you have isn't loud enough, perhaps the next power level up will be better for you. of course, if you don't like the tone you'd be better with something else.

don't forget used gear when money is tight. great deals can be had on power for the money you can spend. if you're patient, that is.

robb.

13. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Check out used gear...big time. You'll get a better amp for the money you have to spend. As far as a Pre/Power amp set up..Definately get a pre to go along with the power amp. Plugging straight into a power amp usually leaves you going..."man, if I could only turn up more bass"...or "I wish I could turn down the mids.." A pre amp will give you EQ, tone shaping and sometimes compression. Plus, you'll usually have a line out from the Pre for the PA at shows. Keep in mind that getting a good Pre+Amp setup is usually more costly than one head (not always, though). Good luck with your search!

14. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks for the help. but what would yall recomend i do for under 400? i can get a great QVC or Carvin power amp and a nice preamp, and have enugh power for my 212? or look into a had under 400 with alot of power. the cab is rated at 1000 rms watts

15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check this stuff out. Together they are dang close to your price range (you won't have to pay for shipping).

Power Amp

Preamp

Many people use this setup. In terms of power and flexibility it is quite respectable. The people I know of who use this as their rig have had no reliability issues (not to say they don't exist somewhere).

You will have to come up with a rack to keep this in.

:D

Joe.

16. get to work, son. start searching the for sale forum, bassgear.com, harmony-central.com, ebay.com, etc. for heads and power amps for sale. i'm sure you'll be able to find something that meets your criteria. it's not like there's only one right answer.

i think that's QSC, homes, unless you've been watching more cable TV than you ought to admit.

robb.

17. NNbassest

NNbassest

Nov 4, 2004
    thanks, but ill stay away from berhinger. i think the qSc and some pre amp will be fine io guess. nothin else really in my price range and i have no time to work with my schedual.