1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power amp and Sansamp pre: not impressed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Sep 12, 2018.

1. I threw together a rack in hopes of replacing my SVT on some smaller gigs which consists of an EV Q66 power amp and a sansamp rbi after reading about how many people loved this combo.

The problem I'm having is that it just seems too trebly and isn't pushing enough bass frequency to really make you feel it. Am I missing something? Settings on the RBI are drive about 10:00, presence dimed, blend dimed, bass dimed with the mids and treble backed off to about 10:00.

I get loads of volume out of the power amp, but it just doesn't hit me the way a standard bass amp would. Cabs are an Acme B2 2x10 and a Carvin RBX 210. I know I may have some issues with mismatching there, but with either of the two cabs, the sound is super sterile. For comparison, I've ran all of my other heads through each of the cabs to great results, but just can't match any of that tone with the RBI/power amp setup.

I've thought of including the PF500 into the rack but that kind of defeats the purpose of the rack setup. Any tips?

Attached Files:

2. Back off the Presence.

3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It’s ok up not like one of the most popular pre’s the world over. I absolutely hate how the sansamp processes the sound. Reminds me too much of BBE sonic maximizers. Read good things about the Mike Pope pre though.

HolmeBass, RobertUI and Frenchy-Lefty like this.
  4. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    My three channel stomp box version has factory presets. I particularly like the "fliptop" and "saturated tube" sounds. Does the rack have the factory presets?

I've found with SansAmp that trying to dial in a custom sound is tricky. The bass pot is powerful and the drive and level pots are overwhelming. A little goes a long way.

saabfender and johnpbass like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Definitely back off the presence and I'd back off on the blend as well, that way you let some of you natural bass tone come through and not be 100% processed.

6. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Were you using the SVT through the Acmes?

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    JOOC, how do you have the RBI & power amp connected (cables, input/ output jacks)? I've used similar config's for years and, in your case, there's something not right.

Edit: after looking at the manual, I'm of the suspicion you may be using XLR > XLR which can be problematic.

https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/Q_E_D.pdf

Riis

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. When I tried backing off the blend, I got a lot more volume, but it sounded even more sterile. Just the bass through the power amp is super thin.

The SVT is in the shop right now, which is why I'm experimenting with this. I tried the Acoustic 370 pictures behind the rack through the two cabs and it sounds HUGE.

Sansamp output to Poweramp input

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Are you using XLR > XLR?

Riis

Lance Bunyon likes this.
  10. Start with your presence OFF (zero)- that is something crazy like 8 to 10 db of boost around 3 or 4 khz!

Also, try it with the tone controls centered.

While the tone circuits will be flat, the actual sans amp part isn't, thus giving the RBI part of that "pillowy", tube-like tone that people like.

Dial in only what you feel is missing.

FWIW- My RBI is still sitting in storage pending sending it to Tech21 for repair (going on +2 yrs now), after I replaced the two front to rear ribbon cables inside. The Sans amp side of things just up and finally died (and that part is of course, encased in epoxy), so getting at those bits is impossible...

MDBass and cheapbasslovin like this.
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    And the blend. Around 75% blend is the sweet spot IMO

son_of_mogh, crguti and cableguy like this.
  12. 1/4" from the RBI to XLR on the power amp

Zooberwerx likes this.
  13. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The RBI is the elder statesman of Sansamp rack preamps. The RPM and VT Bass are both voiced differently, and probably more to your liking. Also, the GED-2112 is an RPM with a separate deep channel that you would potentially like as well.

Using Rush as a conparison, Geddy only used the RBI on the Vapor Trails album. If that’s not the tone you’re going for, I’d consider checking out the more recent Sansamp offerings.

Slough Feg Bass likes this.
  14. ... and on the Rush Live In Rio DVD. After that, RPMs.

15. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, the Vapor Trails tour featured the RBI. (I don’t count live albums)

basscapes likes this.
  16. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Were you using the SVT through the same cabinets? Are the cabs both 4 or 8 Ohms?

I tried you're settings with our RBI through our 410 cab and it sounded pretty big. A bit too much low end. That was with our P-Bass and using the power section of our LM 300. Since our cab has no tweeter there was no overabundance of treble obviously. Easy enough to reduce the presence. What I did next was left the Drive at 10 o'clock, turned off the Blend and Presence and put the Bass, Middle and Treble at noon which is flat with the Blend off. I then played the bass listened and turned the Blend to 12 o'clock to compare the sound. At that point I needed to increase the bass to about 2 o'clock to obtain the same overall frequency response. Adding some presence added a little more articulation and sizzle. I then turned up the Blend to about 2 o'clock and needed to add some mids back to achieve the same overall tone. Try that and see how you make out.

son_of_mogh, recode, MDBass and 10 others like this.
  17. I don't love the sansamp stuff either, but cranking the eq is never going to deliver a nice sound from their stuff. It's a pretty harsh eq, dial it back and make smaller adjustments.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That amp has a Low Pass Notch (LPN) switch on the back. Try toggling it.
    Most difference when A/B comparison of amps is just a volume difference. Try turning it up a bit more. Knobs aren't calibrated and the same knob position doesn't translate from pre-amp to pre-amp. Even so, all the knobs including bass and treble are there to adjust the sound. Sometimes they need a good twist.

19. Sounds like a good place to start.

BTW- WHAT? No love on my earlier comment- "FWIW- My RBI is still sitting in storage pending sending it to Tech21 for repair (going on +2 yrs now), after I replaced the two front to rear ribbon cables inside. The Sans amp side of things just up and finally died (and that part is of course, encased in epoxy), so getting at those bits is impossible..."

Thought you'd be all over this like WHITE ON RICE! LOL:cool:

20. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I own an SVP-CL.