Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick man, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im looking into power amps, and Im wondering what everyone thought of a few different amps Im looking at.

Crown CE 1000.

QSC RMX 850
    QSC RMX 1450

NADY SPA 1400
    NADY SPA 2400
    NADY XA-900

I am particularly interested in the Nady amps since I have heard little about them, and they are alot less expensive than the rest.

I would like to have a power amp that can push 2 Eden 210XSTs to a suitable volume for large gigs with or without PA support.

Things I am interested in hearing about are:

Reliability
    Usable power
    Distortion
    Shutdown
    Headroom
    Customer support
    And to a lesser extent, Weight

Any info on these amps is apreciated, but those areas are of major concren.

Peace
    Nick

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I would suggest a used QSC 2402PLX as an absolute minimum because of its power supply technology, reliability, features, and all the other criteria you've listed. If you can't afford one (check Lord Valve for priceing) then save money until you can. Keep your eyes peeled on EBay.

Assuming your profile is up to date your money might be better spent upgrading the home made speaker system. Every link in a rigs chain is important, I've always started with the cabinet-amp-preamp as an upgrade path. Just a thought.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im pretty sure the PLX series is above my price range.

Do you have a link to Lord Valve?

BTW, my profile is in need of updatting. I now use one 210XST, but will be getting another one in the future. The only thing lacking in that homemade cab BTW is portability.

Thanks.

Peace
    Nick

4. I think you'll find that Life Effects Has better prices by about $10-$50 for the QSC amps. And that's in no way saying that Lord Valve No bulls@#t electronics doesn't have good prices btw!

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Nope. My price for a plx 1602 with the Q-mod and shipping from Lord Valve beat the heck out of the life effects price listed on their site

6. ;)

You must have missed the big bold print

"QSC Amplifiers"
    If You Are Not Getting The Best Pricing!
    YOU HAVE NOT CALLED US YET!
    Call us at
    580-857-2128

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you didn't call. I believe it's brian (I myself, haven't called for a month) will beat the lord's prices, plus shipping is much kinder. So overall price is lower. Give him a call, heck...I'll call for ya lol.

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Nope, just called, sorry

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    So how about info on those amps I mentioned?

Peace
    Nick

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I have the QSC PLX 1602. It's 1000 watts at 8 ohms bridged and 1600 watts at 4 ohms bridged. It fairly light weight at 21 LBS. It has the new switch mode technology. I don't really know what that is but it has it. It sound great, very transparent.Here is the link to the qsc web site
    http://www.qscaudio.com/
    Also Bob Lee who is a member here at TB can help you out if you PM him

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Of the choices you listed I'd go with a QSC. I've had nothing but bad luck with the Crown CE1000, and haven't heard anything about the Nady amps. QSC on the other hand has a very good reputation.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The QSC's are nice, light weight, and reliable. I have a Carvin DCM2000, which is great, but its larger and heavier than I'd prefer. Plenty reasonable on the price, though.

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I went with the RMX 1850HD from Lord Valve. It's heavy, but it gets the job done at a great price.

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Well, I already mentioned weight in my previous post about the RMX 1850HD. ;)

Reliability? No problems to date.

Usable power? I get 600 W/ch at 4 ohms, is that enough?

Distortion? When I clip it, sure, but otherwise, I don't hear it.

Shutdown? Hasn't happened yet. I've run it with a 2 ohm load (900 W RMS into two 4 ohm Acme Low B-2s) on 1 channel and a 4 ohm on the other, and it's happy as a clam.

Headroom? Enough with my Acmes, probably more with efficient cabs.

Customer support? How does a 3-year transferable warranty and prompt replies to my email questions from QSC staff sound?

I'd say I'm one very satisfied customer.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I would also like to hear from anyone who has tried the Nady amps. The price is tempting . . .

Their speakers are inexpensive too. I know they have a good reputation for wireless, is the new gear so new that nobody has tried it yet?

15. Nick Man,
    I currently use a QSC RMX 1450 and the ONLY downside I've seen is the weight. (39#) I use one side for 2 Avatar 2x10 cabs and the other side for 1 Avatar 15" cabs. Plenty of headroom. Never had a distortion problem,
    I use EMG 40 DC pups thru a BOSS GT-6B and the amp will take all I can give it. PLX's are great, but if ya ain't got the ducks, just wishful thinkin'!;)

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ok, from my understanding, everyone loves QSC.

Is it really such a bad thing to go for the RMX over the PLX? Money is an issue, Im 17, so weight isnt.

Ive havent herad much about Crown, and I have yet to hear anything about the Nady.

Anyone else have any info?

Peace
    Nick

17. You should also consider the sound you'll get from your power amp. A lot of the lighter weight and lower priced power amps are a little wimpy on the low end because of their less expensive and light weight design. Check out Crest audio as well--those things have a ballsy low end and are reliable amps with a great reputation. The lightest and cheapest amp is probably not the best if you want great sound. I'm no amp tech, but I'm just speaking from personal experience and can't tell you why certain designs sound better.

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have the nady 850 in my pa system and it has no headroom whatsoever! it works decently for only vocals at moderate volumes but it could in no way possibly handle the bass guitar's frequencies.... :(

in fact im gonna get another power amp and only use this one for monitors.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Nady 850 is no longer on the list.:)

Thanks

Peace
    Nick

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got one of these, an E&W PS-1000.

[​IMG]

My PS-1000 is only slightly heavier than the QSC PLX series at 23 pounds and I can guarantee you that you won't think wimpy at all if you heard my rig! :D ;) The power ratings are comparable to the PLX 1602 at 8 & 4 ohms stereo. At 8 ohms bridged I get 1000 watts which I think is a little more than the 1602 and it has excellent build quality. Now there's one more for you to consider Nick. ;)