power amp cord

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peccavi, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    ok so i played a show last night and i forgot to put my power cord from my preamp and power amp on stage instead of putting it back in my bag, 2 bands played before i realized i had forgoten them on stage so i waited for there set to end and went up to get them only to find my pre amp power cord and not my power amp one. so some one took it but i have another one but it is not as thick. so my question is does it matter or is the thickness of the power cord a matter? if it is i am officailly pissed.

also if it is where can i get a new one? i have a qsc rmx2450.

2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    So long as it's appropriately rated, thickness doesn't matter. That being said, find one that fits and it should be fine.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    My PLX2402 came with a 14 AWG power cord. I ordered some spares from QSC directly.

The 18 AWG cords are rated (IIRC) 10 A so if the normal input current of the amp is less than 10 A, you'll be fine.

It sucks when people walk off with your stuff...I've lost mic stands, instrument stands etc (they even had my name all over them).
  4. Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Usually the thicker the power cable the cleaner the juice can travel through it. Thats why Mesa Boogie and Monster Cable make a pretty thick power cable for all there amps at least thicker then any stock amplifiers cable.
  5. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    It's a standard configuration. Any decent hardware store or appliance store should have a selection from which to choose.
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's a standard IEC cord, like you would find with a computer or other such appliance. The ideal thing would be to replace it with a 14 AWG cord, but an 18 AWG will work in a pinch. Most electronics or electrical supply stores should have what you need for under $10. Get a spare while you're at it! ;)
  7. Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    thanks alot guys i am going to go buy a few now that i realized i am so forgetful.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you can rack your amp with a power conditioner, then you can leave your cord plugged into the conditioner all the time and you won't forget it. This is setup that I have and I haven't lost any power cables. Unfortunately, I have lost other items at gigs. :(