Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp Coupling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Are there anypower amps that you can feed into one another. For example, If you had a 500 watt power amp is there there another power amp that would let you run the first one into it, and then add its power to the original, so that you have one output twice as powerful, instead of two different outputs?

2. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Not likely. There have been car stereo amps that worked that way, and CB radio linear amplifiers do that. But I don't think they really "add" to the power they are getting. They are designed to turn down the input signal coming from the first amp to a level they can deal with.

But an amp is designed for a specific signal level at the input. Feeding it a signal already amplified to speaker level from another amp will probably just burn up the second amp in the chain.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No. It doesn't work that way.

4. I'll second R Lindsey

NO NO NO

You cannot run hundreds or thousands of watts from one amp into another, you will cook the second amp.

The only linking of power amps is cascading or running them in parallel. If you are concerned about all of the speaker outputs from 2 or more amps, then run them in bridged mode. Then you will only have one speaker output per amp.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I figured it couldn't be done, but was just checking.