Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp for aguilar gs-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clouddead, Nov 5, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i have two aguilar gs-112s. i am kinda strapped for cash, like 250-300 bucks for a power amp to push these two cabs. my hartke 3000 is struggling with the cabs right now. i just need enough power to push them. would headroom be good and how much? suggestions please..

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am not the one to ask, but the only $300 amp I know of that people on here use is the QSC 850. There are heads that can be used, but your 3500 would probably be just as powerful.
    Wes

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Try getting a power amp to use with your hk3000? Find an amp running AT LEAST 350w or 400w at 4ohms (bridged/mono) will make a loud sound with two gs112s, may sound undynamic, but when you can afford more power try getting up to over 800w for some punch!!!

if you shop used you can maximize your dollar, but beware of "too good to be true amps" like pyramid, pylepro

stick to brands like peavey, crown, qsc, yamaha, or other brands that get thumbs up on talkbasss

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You're not going to find much with $250-300. Hold on a little longer with the Hartke until you can spend $500, and grab a QSC or Crown power amp that will do 800 watts or more.

-Mike

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    He has that. $300 is the price of the QSC RMX850 brand new... and probably with the extended warantee. Used, he could afford an RMX1450 easily.

I'd go with the RMX850 for sure. Bridge them suckers into that amp, and you'll have over 400Watts into each cab. I'd love to be the owner of that rig :cool:

6. I just picked up one of these (RMX-850) on Sunday. Powering two G-K cabs (1x15 and 2x10), this thing cranks! I haven't had a rehearsal with it yet, but I'm expecting great results. I went from 280w to this, which is 830w in bridged mono mode. I don't think I'll have any more problems with volume or overworking my amp.

Be advised that the 850 is physically very deep (as in "big") and the back end sticks out of my Calzone rack. It's also heavy at 35 lbs. But it is most definitely the biggest bang for the buck in power amps. I did a thorough comparison before I went with the QSC.

-- Sam

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't be afraid to buy a used power amp. You will save a TON of money, get nearly all of your oney back upon resale at a later date, and get more for your money right now rather than buying showroom new.

Just be careful to check it out thoroughly first, get it good and warm, really put it through its paces. Ideal situation is if someone is willing to offer you a 7 day return after trial for defects. Ask, you'd be surprised how many people are willing to do so because they are confident that what they are selling is perfectly fine.

If been driving my rig with a QSC PLX3002 power amp every weekend for over two years, bought used at a GREAT price ($550 I believe?) and it works like a gem. When I want something else, I'm sure I'll get all of my money back upon resale.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd say go for a Crown, QSX RMX, Peavey, Carvin or those recommended power amps. I have 2 GS112s and the more power you give them the better they respond and sound. They can take the power. I put 450watts trhough each of them and they sound beautiful!!!
    I'm actually selling a power amp so I'll send you a PM.

Peace,,,

9. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    A used Yamaha P5000 might be the way to go in that price range. They go for about $550 new.

10. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    wow. anyone ever check how old this thread is? i made it like 2 years ago. I no longer have the aggies, but am looking for a new rig. I have to take into consideration that im going to be in college, so im not sure which portable setup to go by. probably two 112's. The aggies seemed very quiet for the 300 watts i put into them. Im looking at purchasing a 1001RB-II for a head and need to decide on the cabs.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    how about a couple of aggie gs-112's??? :D :D :bag:

12. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

+1 :ninja:

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I just sold my Aggie12's, and in my quest for less scooped/more mids/more efficient/and even more portable cabs ordered a Bergantino EX/HT stack. It'll be here Wednesday. :D

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Along with various preamps (current favorite is the SVP Pro), I'm using an SWR 750 power amp (purchased used) with my GS112s. I can run it wide open and it sounds good with the Aguilars.