Power amp for Avatar 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Picker, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Picker

Nov 10, 2003
    Howdy all!!! this is my first post in this forum.

I'm new to bass (up till now just 6-string guitar). I purchased my first bass and am trying to assemble my rig. Here's what I've got:

Fender MIM P-bass Deluxe (jass pup and pbass pup)
    Tech 21 Sansamp RBI

Just ordered an Avatar 2x12 4 ohm cabinet

Now, I'm trying to figure out what power amp I will need to power the cab. Avatar says "the B212 Delta LF is available in either 4 or 8 ohm (one or the other but not both) and is rated at 1000 watts" ... I ordered the 4 ohm cab

First what do you think of this rig
    Second, what power amp will be best

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think the new Peavey MAX 700 is quite sexy.. its about $570... but that was from a locally owned store, so it is probably cheaper from musicians friend or something.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    For the money the QSC RMX is hard to beat (they are a bit heavy, but if weight is important, try the QSC PLX).

Sounds like your rig should rock!
  5. Picker

Nov 10, 2003
    Thanks.... I'll probably go w/ the RMX series. Which model should I get? How much power do you think I'll need with this cab?
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You got the 4ohm version of the B212, so you can bridge an RMX850 (just make sure you follow the user's guide on speaker connections for bridge mode) and get plenty of volume.
  7. IMO, Best bang for buck goes to the QSC RMX850 ($300 shipped), but it weighs in at 35lbs. The Carvin DCM1000 is a good, lighter weight (23lbs) power amp that goes for $380. The QSC and Stewart lightweight amps start a little past $500.