Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp for both bass and guitar???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a power-amp.
    My main concern is that I'm both a bass player and a guitarist.
    So, my question is, are power-amps usable for both guitar AND bass pre-amps?

Thanks,

Bart

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    In a word........

YES!

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

You may want to use a single PA with 2 preamps, or maybe something that would fit both, like a SanSamp PSA-1.
    Cabs will be a concern.
    You can't use the same for both.

4. Jazz Ad,

that Sans amp is what brand?

yeps, cabs will be the problem,

does there exist a power amp that will drive both a Marshall 1960 guitar cab (280Watt) and a heavier, lets say 600 watt bass cab.

Or, are power amps switchable,
    lets say a 1000 watt power amp that can also run on 250??? (or something else that wouldn't blow my guitarcab?)

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    As others have said, you can use your bass rig's power amp with a guitar preamp.

Also as stated, using an all-purpose cabinet will be the real problem. Cabinets with tweeters don't like distortion...they generally sound terrible (or at least raspy).

Several months ago, I attended an SWR sponsered clinic with Michael Manring. I asked him how he kept his distorted tone from sounding too harsh (through the tweeter equipped SWR cabinets)...he said it's because he uses speaker emulation on his processor. This made a lot of sense when I thought about how nice distorted guitar sounds through the stereo because the signal is shaped by the guitar speaker (or a modeling network) before it is recorded.

Lately, I've been using a Behringer Vamp 2 for guitar. My current set up has the outputs of my bass preamp and Vamp 2 feeding inputs of a mixer. The mixer feeds the power amp which feeds the cabinets. Since the Vamp 2 has speaker emulation on-board, I can use my bass cabinets with guitar. I was quite pleased that it sounds as good as it does.

Good luck!!!

6. They are usually not "adjustable". However, most power amps have output controls sort of like volume knobs..........but different. All they really adjust is the input sensitivity that is needed to drive the amp at full volume.

You may be better off trying something like a Marshall Power Brake to control the output to the guitar cabs.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'll be turning the drive to the power amp way down when you switch to guitar. Marshall cabinets are far more efficient than bass cabinets and you need much less power for guitar to be loud than bass.

Before I got the Vamp 2, I used a guitar preamp into one side of my power amp for guitar and my bass preamp into the other side of the power amp for bass. Each channel fed dedicated cabinets.

8. Hmmm :s

it all looks quite complex and expensive...

perhaps I'll just get me a power amp for the bass... and use seperate equipment for guitar and bass...

thanks for the replies

9. A Marshall Power Brake (and also the THD Hotplate) will only work with tube amps. I'm not sure what would happen if you put one on a SS amp.