Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp for my Aguilar DB680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassTerd, Sep 1, 2002.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just got me one of those Aguilar DB680 thing-a-ma-bobs yesterday. Right now I am using my GK 1001rb as the power amp becuase thats all I have at the moment. I want to get a power amp but don't know which one I should get. I plan on running some Bergantino cabs 1X12 and 1X15. I want something light that wont break my back with enough power to run both cabs. Can anyone make any suggestions?

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Lightness : QSC PLX

Price to power ratio-wise: Carvin DCM

I got a DCM2000 and I really recommend it.

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Depends what music you play, for me I hook it with Ampeg SVT 2 [use the power section]. Sometimes I use QSC 3402. But I like the tube amp better 'cos it is low and Fat, Transistor power amp seem to be dry and thin.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Peavey DPC1400x

i'm simply enamoured with mine. light and powerful at 1400 watts @ 4 ohms.

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Hi Jokeryn,

Where can I buy this DPC 1400 x ?

Thanks,

J

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    You can get the Peeve from most any Peavey dealers, but you might have to special order it. not many people i contacted carried it, but i got mine from Medley Music near Philly, PA. took about a week to get, and arrived perfectly.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 728

8. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    THanks for the replies people. I'm thinking about getting a QSC PLX but I dont know how many watts I'll need to power the 1X12 and 1x15 bergs.
    I have another question about the DB680. How do I go about bi-amping it from pre to the power amp?

9. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    As far as biamping, I would take the low crossover output via an amp channel and send it to your 15" cab and send your high crossover via another channel out to your 12" cab. Set the crossover freq and each level and you are set. Try a crossover around 400 Hz and that 15 woofer should...well...woof..yeah that's it. Congrats on your new thing-a-ma-bob, I love mine.

Peace