1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amp for rack suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BobaFret, Feb 28, 2008.

1. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I'll start by saying I have read some/most of the threads concerning power amps and the "read this first" thread but nothing really answers my particular needs. First I'll give my scenario.

I play mostly at home but would like something that is flexible enough to do some small venue bar scene gigs. Currently I have an SWR Studio 220 connected to an 8ohm Son of Bertha 15" cabinet. I'm running a Tech21 SABDDI into the power amp in and just using the SWR head as a power amp. It didn't sound particularly good before and now it sounds OK.

The question is what would be a good PA to pair with this setup and would it make it sound a lot better. Most of the threads involve higher priced items and even though I have GAS I don't have the money ( Kids are currently using that ). So for < $500 can I get anything that would sound good. I use a Lakland DJ so it shouldn't be too hard to make it sound nice.

Would something like a QSC RMX 850 do the job?

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I would shop ebay for a QSC-PLX2402 or 3002, you can grab these for $4-500 and it would keep your rack nice and light.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also Carvin DCM amps offer a lot of solid bang per buck.

4. +1 for Carvin. I particularly like their DCM1000 for $350 + shipping.

Paul

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    QSC's new GX line is very affordable and around 26 lbs. much much lighter than their old RMX line. the GX3 is about $299 new i believe.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There's a used Crest CA9 in the classifieds for $500 shipped right now.

7. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I appreciate the responses. Quite a few things to consider so far. Wish that money thing didn't always have to get in the way.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi BobaFret (great name!),
    All of the above suggestions are great; I would just add that I have personally owned the QSC RMX 850 and it is a great power amp, plenty loud for what you need. Don't have any reservations about buying it if it fits your budget and you aren't concerned about the size. Full disclosure, however, I did sell it after about a year, because money wasn't as tight any more and I had GAS for something lighter (Acoustic Image Focus SA).

To get a little off topic from your original question, have you considered adding a 2nd cabinet instead of/in addition to a power amp? Generally speaking, I've found that adding speakers is the cheapest way to get louder. If you added an efficient 8 ohm cabinet (like a 4x10), you'd have lots more volume, even with the SWR 220 (but even more so with a more powerful amp). A single 15 is never going to cut through as vigorously as a 2-cabinet stack, even with many watts pushing it. Food for thought!

M

Cremette likes this.
  9. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    Carvin DCM series .....the power and the price cant be beat.

10. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Thanks, I do have and Eden 4x10 as well I just don't use it because of the small children and I live in a smallish home. If I were to play out it would be a 2 cab setup.:D

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Aha, I used the RMX 850 bridged into a single 4 ohm, 15"+horn cab. I have no experience running two cabinets with it. The Eden is an awesome cab and deserves as much power as you can afford!

12. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    There's a used Crest CA4 in the classifieds for $350 ;)