Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp for SWR Goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anastasio24, May 27, 2003.

1. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I am getting ready to purchase an SWR Goliath III cabinet. This thing is rated at 700 Watts RMS. Which is better the 4 or 8 ohm model?

Also, I am leaning towards a QSC PLX power amp or maybe a Carvin DCM power amp. Which model of PLX would give me plenty of punch to get though the mix? I am not worried about loudness, I just want plenty of punch and I don't want to tear up the cabinet in the process. I have read that underpowering can be as bad as overpowering.

I play with an organ player and guitarist as well as the drummer and punching through the organ is a must.

Any thoughts on the ohms or power amp? I am new to this as all other setups have been combo amps.

Thanks!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmm
    i would go with the plx or a stewart (ihave a stewart but they're both great)
    i may have the model # wrong but the plx 2402? is a really decent amp
    i would probably go with 8 ohms if this is gonna be your only cab so if you bridge the amp you wont semolish it
    free tip: always use more power than is rated your speakers if you can so you won't clip but listen very carefully to your speakers so you know when you begin to overpower them

3. Go with an 8 ohm in case you want to add another cab later. I've got a PLX 1202 which is 700 watts into 8 ohms and it seems to have plenty of punch for me. Most of the guys on this forum use the PLX 1602 that is somewhere around 1000 watts into 8 ohms. That would probably be your best choice. I see nothing wrong with Carvin. They are less money and a bit heavier. I still think the best power for bass is the PLX line from QSC. jmho.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i tink you should get the 8 ohm, rewire it to 2 ohm, and then get 4 carvin DCM4000 power amps. so then you would have 16,000 watts running into 2 ohms... forget the goliath, get a WM 10" extension and run the 16,000 watts thru that.