Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp for Trace cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ktulu, Aug 15, 2000.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu

May 8, 2000
    Greetings all.

I realize that the subject of power amps has been gone over many times, and I've read most (if not all) the threads on them. However, if some of you have the time to answer, I have a specific question for you.

I'm planning on buying a Trace Elliot 1518 cab (1x15). The cab is rated 300W RMS at 8 ohms. I'd like your recommendations on a power amp to drive this. I'm planning on building a rack system with a separate preamp so I can add power amps and cabs as I need the power, so I just need an amp that is strong enough to power this one cab for now. It might be good to get a 2-channel amp with enough power in one channel to drive this cab, and I can get another cab later for the other channel, as long as the price is reasonable. I'm not sure if this would be cheaper in the long run or not.

My main question is this: does the amp need to be rated at a higher wattage than 300, or lower, or the same? I don't plan on cranking the amp, but accidents happen, and I don't want to risk blowing the speaker b/c some drunk decides to turn my amp up. But I also want to have all the volume I can get.

Hopefully I've outlined what I need here. I don't necessarily need an amp that sounds great, 'cause I play mostly hard rock or metal. I'll be satisfied just as long as it's LOUD. I don't have a whole LOT of money to spend, but I do have some. I'd like to keep the price at around $700, but I can go a little higher if needed. I'd appreciate your recommendations, and please tell me if this is a dumb idea. I really don't think it is, but I may be overlooking something. Thanks in advance.

2. I'd go with an amp that's about 300-350 watts.. it's ok if you go to 400 too because it's rare that the absolute max it can handle is 300 watts and I doubt you'll need to turn it all the way up.. as to what brand.. go search around find what fits you =) I use Hartke (HA3500) and it fits me perfectly.. now to get a hartke 4x10 cab =) Sorry if I didn't help ya much but there's my 2 cents..

-Willz

3. Ktulu

Ktulu

May 8, 2000
    Thanks for the reply, man. What you said was pretty much what I thought.

What do you think about Mackie amps? I haven't heard a whole lot about them, but they seem to have a lot of features that I haven't found on other amps in that price range. I don't really know if they're reliable and everything, though. Anyway, I've narrowed it down to either Mackie or Crown, unless anyone has any other suggestions. Whaddyathink?

Thanks.