Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp: Give me some ideas

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freakin Idiot, Sep 26, 2005.

1. With my current setup I am running at 2.6 ohms. One 4x10 at 8 ohms and one 2x15 at 4 ohms. I need a power amp. When I saw the 4 ohm minimum in bridged-mono on the QSC RMX1450 it seemed to me all hope of a cheap, well-made power amp was lost.

I am looking for something under $400. What do you guys have in mind for a good power amp?

Thanks.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can use a two-channel amp and put one cab on each channel.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    That's exaclty what I do.

I own a 8 ohm 115 and a 4 ohm 210 that I run one cabinet to a side on my power amp.

Dont get too caught up in the 'bridged' thing. Bridging has it's uses but then so does running in stereo/dual mono.

Just make sure you get a big enough amp!

What are the ratings on your cabs?

:D

Joe.

4. Bridged is nice to squeeze full potential power out of the amp, but nobody supports under a 4 ohm load in bridged mode that I've ever heard of.

So get stereo amp and run each cab out of a seperate channel. Watts is watts, you can get 900W out of an amp 300w (8 ohm) one channel and 600W (4 ohm) the other channel, that'll be just as many watts as a mythical 900W @ 2.6 ohm bridged amp if one existed. And the ohm rating would cause the 8 ohm cab to get 300W vs 600w to the 4 ohm cab when they're connected in parallel hooked to a 900W@2.6 ohm bridged amp.

Of course, you have to get a little higher power rating amp since you'll be driving the channels at 4 and 8 ohms respectively, instead of the equivalent 1.3 ohms if you could run the cabs paralleled on a 2.6 ohm bridged amp. So it will cost you more dollars for more potential watts even though you only get the same watts out because of load issues. Can't be helped unless you scrap the 4 ohm cab for a similar 8 ohm version so you can run something bridged.

Randy

5. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't really know of any amps that bridge to 2 ohms that would be under 400 bucks. It seems like when you start bridging the ohm number goes up. Usually they bridge to 8 ohms. Just run it stereo/dual mono and put a cab on each output. You might be able to rewire your 2X15 to 8 ohms then you would have a 4 ohm load with the two.

This quote came from another thread - you may want to check it out.

"If you can afford $469, you can get a 1200 watt beast (@ 2 ohms, 800 into 4 ohms, and 500 into 8 ohms)......

..........the Kustom GrooveBass 1200

I have one, lots of TB'ers do, and it's a tone monster! Do a search in Amps on the GrooveBass 1200... you'll find about 3 days worth of reading/reviews there

Call Chad @ www.musicssupplycenter.com and tell 'em D.C. sent ya and he'll take care of you"

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You could find a good-shape second-hand power amp and do as the others have suggested -- run one cab off each channel in parallel or stereo mode.

The QSC RMX1850HD has better thermal tolerance than the regular RMX and a bit more power.

I don't know what 2nd-hand Stewart World 1.6 go for, but that's a great amp (from what I've heard around talkbass).

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd definitely consider putting another $50 in an amp and look for a used QSC PLX 1602 (which can be purchased used for around $450). You could run it stereo.
    You could also find a used Stewart 1.6 for around $400-450 and they are certainly great amps too. Based on my experience (with both) I'd go for the QSC primarily because of the Stewart 25 sec. time delay feature at start up. It caused my band to play bass-less several times when the house power cycled momentarily! :eek: