Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, Feb 16, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    I'm considering switching to a preamp/poweramp setup but have no clue where to start with power amps. I am leaning towards running an Ampeg svtpro preamp if i make the switch. All i need now is some direction in power amps. i'd like 2 channels, limited sound distortion and the 400-600w range per channel at 4ohms.

please give me some advice and suggestions

2. Do a search on the amps forum for "power amp"... the search feature IS usefull ;)

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    QSC is good, alot of guys use em.

Check out the rmx 1450. :bassist:

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
  5. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    the crown K1 is pretty much out of my price range.... i had actually been looking at some of the QSC amps, does anyone else have any input on the QSC amps or any other suggestions?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmmm maybe a budget woudl help as well. that would give us some ideas.

here's a start

7. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I run that very rig, SVTPRO with a QSC rmx 1450 amp. It's been perfect for a couple of years now. It's used often. I also use one side of the amp to power a stage monitor when I am only playing through a single cab.

8. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Go to www.peavey.com and read about the pv-2600. I have been using one for 4 years, and it does a great job. they can be had for less than $600 american, at any good pro audio, or guitar center.

9. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I always miss Yamaha in these threads about budget power amps.

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Try a Mesa M Pulse 600. That's my favourite sounding head ATM. Of the mass produced stuff I've tried Aggies, Eden, SWR, and it just sounds better IMO. The passive eq is surpisingly good, built-in comp, built like a tank, I'd buy one if I had the cash. Great amp ;)

11. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
  12. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I just picked up a Crown XLS602, brand new on ebay for $350 shipped and I have my SVP-CL on order from my local music store.

Check this out:
    http://search.ebay.com/crown-XLS602_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

It seems to have what you're looking for: 370watts@8ohm, 600watts@4ohms and 840watts@2ohms.

However, you will find that you will need 2 cables like this to connect the preamp channels to the power amp: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2029&sku=40033

The preamp has 1/4" outputs where the poweramp has XLR inputs.

Also, if you decide to run it in bridged mono mode, some people say that it's a bit of a pain in the butt. However, after doing some research, I found that it isn't as bad as people make it sound. All you need to do is have a special 'Y' cable made. I found a fellow Talkbasser that's going to make me one for a pretty reasonable price. And if you're good with soldering, you could do it yourself.

13. dimi_did

dimi_did

Feb 17, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    it is the same configuration that I want. You are content with that? Can you say me if the output level of the SVP-PRO is sufficient for functioning well with this power amp ?

14. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    thanks for the input so far.... as for budget id love to stay in the 300-400 range but if i think its worth it ill go higher and i think my eyes were a little big for my first wattage guess, i think 300-500watts/channel at 4ohms would be sufficient for now (2 other guitarist using 100watt halfstacks)... i've actually been looking at QSC, does anyone have any more input on those, especially the 1450 and and 830. Is there any other suggestions... how are peaveys, crowns, etc.

15. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    QUESTION: What is your cabinet situation??

I think QSC is the best combination of power, price, and quality. Your price range is perfect for either the 850 or 1450.

I run an RMX1450 into a pair of 4ohm cabs in Stereo. 450Watts per side, competing with a 150Watt Marshall Halfstack. When we practice, I can keep up with my guitar player with only one cab at 450Watts... but it cuts it a little close, because I like the combination of 10's and a 15 running.

With 2 halfstacks, I'd recommend that you aim for about 500-800Watts (especially if you dont have any 12's or 15's) just to really make sure you have the headroom. If you have two 4ohm cabs, you can land at 900Watts with the 1450 amp. It sounds like its overdoing it... but trust me, its really not... because you never know when your gonna get stuck playing outdoors or somewhere really big. Also.. with the 1450, you can upgrade your cabs in the future, and run at 1400Watts :bassist: .... if you ever needed to, of course. And how much will it be? $400 new... probably under $300 used.... now is that a deal, or what? :cool:

16. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    chariot- at this point im planning on running a combination of avatar cabinets. most likely a 112&210 or 410&212, or something in between, havent completly decided, was thinking the 410 and 212 to leave me even more room to expand in power in the future.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the qsc 1450 amp is a good choice. biggest drawback to the less expensive qsc amps is the weight. (we're getting so spoiled by light amps like the qsc plx series nowadays)

18. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well hell... if you put it that way... :smug:

You could get a 210 and a 212 in 8ohms and run 1400Watts bridged with both cabs. Unchain one cab, and your still at 900Watts. Both cabs can handle 900Watts easily.... so I dont see the flaw or danger in this setup (unless you wanted a 15 cab in the mix). 900Watts is enough for almost any situation, pending on your cabinets... so when you add another cab, and a 500watt increase... you'd probably never have to make another adjustment to the power in your rig.

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Question to anyone who knows:

I just checked out Avatar's site, and I see that the Standard B115 cab isnt listed anymore. Has it been totally replaced by the Neo 115 cab? Because I think that kinda sucks... I was really happy to know that there was a 115 cab that was rated 600Watts at that price.

I musta missed something. :eek:

20. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    there are alot of good ones. Search and look for the best power/weight/quality/price ratio that suits you best. I can personally recommend the Carvin DCM series (very inexpensive in the US) and QSC RMX or PLX series power amps.

Hope this helped...