1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockwarnick, May 11, 2010.

1. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    So I have An Aguilar SC500 head, a GS410, and a GS 212. Both cabs run at 4ohms so I can only use one at a time right?

I want to use both cabs. My question is how would I do this and is a power amp the best way to do so? What can you tell me about choosing a power amp?

Also if this is the way to go I would also like to know if I could run one cab clean and the other distorted?

What do you think? Thanks for your help.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the minimum load rating for the Aggie head is 4 ohms, then yes you can only use one 4-ohm cab at a time with it. If you want the flexibility of having a lower-volume one-cab rig and a higher-volume two-cab rig, then your best bet is to get two 8-ohm cabs.

If you're set on using the two 4-ohm cabs, then yes you'd need a second head or a power amp. Any power amp will do, as long as it's halfway decent quality. IOW don't buy the cheapo mystery-brand amps from DJ supply sites, but any of the major brands are fine for bass. Aside from brand, just pick one that has the power, weight, and price you want.

You can also use a second amp head as a power amp, by taking the "line out" from the Aggie and running it into the "line in" AKA "power amp in" AKA "effects loop return" jack on the second head. This is a good application for any of the micro heads out there.

Using only one single-channel amp head it would be almost impossible to run one speaker cab clean and the other dirty. To get that result, you need one clean amp and one dirty amp, or one clean amp channel in parallel with one dirty amp channel. So for example if you got a power amp, you could stick an Aggie AGRO in between the line out of the Aggie amp head and the input of the power amp. That way the cab connected to the Aggie head's speaker output will be clean, and the can connected to the power amp's output will be AGRO-flavored.

Another option would be to get a small tube guitar amp, like a Fender Champ, and use that as your second "dirty" amp. Disconnect its internal speaker and connect it to your second cab.

3. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Awesome, thanks a lot for all of the helpful info.