1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alfaBAT9, Mar 7, 2013.

1. alfaBAT9

alfaBAT9

Apr 12, 2009
    Toronto, ON
    Gadzooks — it's been ages…

So I'll cut right to it:
    I really like the sound of my SansAmp Bass Driver DI — so much so that I NEVER turn it off. In fact, I bypass the preamp on my 3Pro and go right into the power amp as not to take away from the SanAmpiness. At 8 ohms I'm only getting 275w of 3Pro power, and I was hoping to bring it up to about 500w.

Can you guys recommend a power amp that get that kind of wattage in the $400 range? I figure I'd be able to sell my 3Pro on the Craigs for around that much.

Fyi, I'm driving a Mesa Powerhouse 2x12 cab rated at 500w at 8 ohms.

Thanks bruvs.

2. FWIW - even though Mesa cabs are great, it probably would not be able to get any louder with the extra wattage (which even if it could, it would only be the difference of about +1 or 2db).

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i'd recommend adding another 8 ohm cab. you could look for an amp that'll go more like 600-700 watts (maybe that will bridge to that much?). this will help more with the power, but adding more speakers will help more, and raise the power output of the 3pro. although that will take NEW funds in lieu of recycled funds.

4. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    There are quite a few used Crest CA-4 and CA-6's on ebay and generally sell within your budget range, their stereo power ratings are below what you're looking for however since they're each able to deal with 2 ohm loads in stereo they are capable of the following power outputs in mono; CA-4 -800 watts output at 8 ohms and 900 watts at 4 ohms while the CA-6 outputs 1000 watts into 8 ohms and 1200 into 4 ohms. If you're looking to get 500 watts per channel in stereo you'd probably have to increase your budget a little...anyway here's a link as example http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREST-AUDIO...t=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item2328b1c18c

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Be sure to read this thread

Crown & Sansamp - clipping?

It applies to all power amps.

If you need portability, or new features you should consider one of the newer lightweight amps. From the major name brands. They do not sacrifice any performance or tone. $400 give you many choices. I'd stick with the major brand names with good transferable warranties. Not that you'll need them, but just that it means the manufacturer stands behind their amps. Nearly indestructible and it's been that way for a while.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I vote for adding another cab as well if more output is what you're after. The power increase on the one cab may gove you a bit of noticable headroom but won't make you much if any louder.

Yeah, in theory, all poweramps should sound the same...in practice, they don't. Among the differences are how they handle repeated lowend transients, clarity in the topend, solid roadworthy construction, how they behave when pushed hard, especially over long periods of time, etc. Crown, Peavey, etc. are good brands. My favorite has proven to be older QSC leadsleds. Haven't had the pleasure of owning a Crest but they are known to be pro grade, top of the heap stuff.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

These are super heavy though.

Crest, Crown, QSC, Peavey and Carvin make great 1200-2000w (bridged) poweramps for $300-600 that are in the 10-20lb range. Input sensitivity needs to be appropriate for the device (I.e. the pre must be able to drive the poweramp).

8. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    Very true -the old A/B class of amps sound great however are in fact quite heavy not to mention the high current draw associated with them. Considering wattage is the cheapest it's ever been even the inexpensive entry level lightweight amps (provided they can do 2 ohms stereo) usually obtain 8 and 4 ohm bridged power ratings far greater then many cabs can handle, basically you have less physical and financial strain while 'enough power' is almost a non issue. Thanks again for your very valid point and have a great day.