Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp hook-up question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I did a search for this and couldn't figure out what it all means. It seems that in order to run the Carvin DCM1000 in bridged/mono mode, I need to use the binding posts. And the simplest way to use them is a banana plug... a dual pronged one, i guess? So to run it bridged into one of my cabs (hopefully avatar b212 and b210) I plug the dual prong thing into the red binding posts, and the 1/4" end into cab... right? But what I don't get is how do I hook up the other cab? Do I just daisy chain it to the first cab?

And also... if you plug the banana plug into the red binding posts... what are the black ones for? Sorry if that's really obvious and I should know :bag:

2. I would say check the manual/website for exact directions. Also, many amps are bridgable by using one banana plug and connecting it into the 2 inner posts (ie the red ones). You use the black ones for running the amp in stereo (you would have 2 banana plugs going to two different cabs). Daisy chaining would do the trick to use both cabs. When you bridge an amp, you only use one channel, so you have to daisy chain the cabs.

Carvin DCM1000 manual

3. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    So it is just banana plug to the red binding posts, 1/4" on the other end to the cab, and then daisy chain to the other cab. Not as complicated as I thought... I suppose.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    More questions actually... heh... does the preamp plug in at the XLR input? what is the 1/4" jack next to it for? I read the manual, but I don't get what it's trying to tell me, hehe.

Since there's two inputs, can I use two preamps with it at the same time? Or like... a graphic EQ or something like that?

5. Im not too sure if i would use 2 preamps, but I would say use either one of the inputs. Both those inputs are just inputs, but I would recommend the XLR.

6. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Okay, it all makes sense now. Thanks!

7. make sure those avatar cabs are both 8ohm.

my setup is similar to yours, except that im using speakons to bridge my QSC poweramp into 2 avatar cabs. They are both 8 ohm and daisy chaining them together gives the 4 ohm load that you are looking for.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm planning to use just the b212 most of the time... 700 watts bridged... not bad. and then once I need to have that ear-drum-exploding volume I'll add the 210 and get the full 1000. :bassist:

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When you bridge an amp, you use two channels together, acting as one mono channel.

If you use only channel output on a bridged amp, you're only going to get 1/2 the output voltage, and doing that may also cause the amp to shut down. That's why you use the two "hot" outputs of the amp.

10. Thanks for clearing that up Bob. What I meant was that you will only use the channel A for adjusting volume when in bridged mode, not only one of the sides will be used. :)