Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp hook-up question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Jul 22, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    O.K. I'm like a complete moron when it comes to hooking up stuff, so here's the question. I have an SM400 and would like some more power. Can I simply add a power amp and just use the SM400 as a pre-amp? Or do I have to go the actual pre-amp power amp route?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You most probably can, but I dont have one and wouldnt know exactly where to plug in what on that amp.

Give it sometime and Im sure someone will be around who has that amp to give you the answer.

Peace
    Nick

3. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Help, anybody? I know you're out there.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What's the rest of your setup?

There are 3 basic routes:

1. Use 2 8 Ohm cabs with your SWR, the total load will be 4 Ohm and you get the max power of your amp.

2. Add aother poweramp and connect the preamp out to it and connect your cab(s) to the poweramp.

3. Same as 2. but you connect one cab to the SWR and one to the additional poweramp.

5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the reply. Right now the whole set up is SM400 and one EA vl210 8ohm cab. I don't have a pre-amp out but it does have a balanced XLR out. Here is what the manual says: BALANCED XLR OUT
    The Balanced Out is a true balanced output and serves two functions. In the "Direct" position, the Balanced Out serves as a direct box and can be used for recording or patching into a house P.A. System. No controls on the front or back panel affect the signal appearing at the XLR connector except the "XLR Pad." In the "Line" position, all controls on the front and back panels control the signal appearing at the XLR connector and the level is set by the Master Volume.

The "Line" position can be used for recording directly into a tape machine as well as going directly to the studio board. An external power amplifier with a balanced input can be driven in the "Line" mode.
    So if I'm reading this right I use the Line mode of the xlr out to the balanced xlr in of the new power amp and hook the speaker to the power amp also. Is that correct or am I missing something? In this config, is the power section of the SM400 being bypassed? Again thanks for your help.

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Use the XLR out of the SM400 in line mode to the XLR input of a power amp (such as a Carvin)and it will be fine. You basically use the SM400 as the pre-amp and there should be no problems with that.

I have thought about doing the same with my SM500, but in bridged mode running my two 8 ohm GS112 cabinets (4 ohm load total), it is plenty loud and clean.

-KB

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks guys for your help. That's what I love about this site.:D