1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amp hook up

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ChrisPbass, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I've been playing guitar for 25 years and bass for 3 so I am somewhat familiar w/heads and cabs and all that but I just bought a power amp and some of the terms in the manual are throwing me. I was wondering if someone could dumb it down for me.

Input:
    Combo Input Connector 1/4"
    Phone Wiring, Balanced (Top)
    and Unbalanced (Bottom)

OR:

Combo Input Connector XLR
    Wiring, Balanced (Top) and
    Unbalanced (Bottom)

Output:
    Left: SpeakonĀ®Output Connector on Back Panel
    Right: SpeakonĀ®Cable Connector
    TABLE 1: OUTPUT ASSIGNMENT
    PIN CH PIN CH
    1+ 2 1+ 1
    1– 2 1– 1
    2+ NC 2+ 2
    2– NC 2– 2
    CH 2 CH 1

Output also allows for banana plugs, phoenix style and bare wire but I'm going to stick w/speakons.

are the speakons mentioned the same ones i'm using to go from my bass amp to my speaker cabinets?

thanks!

2. Well, that depends on what you are using to connect from bass amp to speaker cabinets. If you are using 1/4 inch or banana plugs, no. If it's this, then yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector

3. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm using speakons to go from my eden wt-400 to the cabs.

what i'm REALLY clueless about is the input stuff.

Love your avatar ;-)

4. Well, the input lists either a 1/4" or XLR. These are different than speakon. 1/4" is your typical guitar cable type connector and an XLR is like a mic cable connector. It has 3 pins.

Glad you like the avatar!:bassist:

5. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    so I can use a regular 1/4 guitar cable for the input? I got thrown by the balanced / unbalanced.

6. Yep, you're all set.

7. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    awesome...thanks.

8. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    OK the manual says that if I was to take a single source and run both channels I can use a y cable. So will it be OK to go out of my eden headphone jack, into a mono 1/4 split to mono 1/4 and then instrument cables to the power amp? I'm 99% sure it's OK but I don't want to gamble and blow up anything.
    and Yes....that is what Eden says to do if you want to use the wt-400 as a pre, headphone jack > power amp.

9. If the amp is a pro audio amp like Crown, QSC, etc. it probably has a "parallel" setting. That will function the same as using a "y" cable, but only one input is needed. Check the manual.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    [​IMG] 09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
    ChrisPbass [​IMG]

OK the manual says that if I was to take a single source and run both channels I can use a y cable. So will it be OK to go out of my eden headphone jack, into a mono 1/4 split to mono 1/4 and then instrument cables to the power amp? I'm 99% sure it's OK but I don't want to gamble and blow up anything.
    and Yes....that is what Eden says to do if you want to use the wt-400 as a pre, headphone jack > power amp.

11. Did you intentionally repeat your previous post, or was that a goof?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt