1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amp Imput Level (noob to power amp rig question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeremy5000, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Jeremy5000

Jeremy5000

Feb 25, 2008
    So I am used to fairly powerful integrated amp heads. I've used Peavey and ampeg heads in the past, all with lots of headroom.

I just put together this rig with a Sansamp RPM and a QSC
    RMX 1450. Running bridged into a 4 ohm 2x15.

First off let me just say that the tone is amazing. Nothing like any bass head I've played through. It sounds like it's been recorded, mastered, and is playing on a high end stereo.

Now it is loud but it seems a little shy of the headroom I've had with some of my regular bass rigs.
    I have to almost max out the level on the Pre. Am I missing something or do I just need a power amp with a little more power?
    Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The problem (if there is one) isn't anything to do with headroom. The QSC input sensitivity is something like 1.25V, and it sounds like you have to turn up the output of that preamp to "almost max" to achieve 1.25V. That's fairly normal, although it will vary a lot with different pre/power combinations.

If you are getting unwanted distortion, or the signal seems weak, then you might be out of headroom. If it sounds loud and clear, at the volume you want to hear it, then you have plenty of headroom regardless of what the knob settings are.

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    450 watts should be plenty for everything but doom. Are you turning up the power amp's volumes all the way?