Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp in Rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guac mole, Aug 9, 2001.

1. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    I went to samash today looking for an SKB case for my power amp and preamp and the guy working there said I should leave a rack space open between the power amp and the preamp/effect units. It makes sense, but does it really get that hot that you would need to leave one whole space open?

Thanks,
    guacamole

2. SWR requires an open space above the amp (Bass 750 for sure, others ???).

QSC power amps do not. They are front to rear flow and can be stacked without fear of overheating or damage, and no intervening air spaces.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I was wondering the same thing. I have a rack full of stuff,(Crown, tube preamp, effects, eq, etc...) do I need a fan or is spacing an issue?

Mike

4. No.

All the Crown gear I've seen is front and back ventilation. Check the Crown manual for sure, as I'm a QSC guy, and they are definitely stackable. The rest of my rack goodies run cool, have no vents, etc, and are also stackable.

With computer gear, if you cannot leave the back side of your fingers touching the piece in question, it is too hot.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thanks, just wanted to be sure.

Mike:cool:

6. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    thanks bgavin. i've read a lot of your posts, you always give good advice. I just got my new aguilar 659 and Stewart World 1.6, and wanted to make sure I didn't fry my first rack. :cool:

guacamole

7. Always RTFM first. Dunno about the Stewarts, other than many users enjoy them. The Aguilar will be killer, I'm sure. If you have a question that isn't in the FM, email or call the manufacturer. Advice given here is just opinion, unless from a manufacturer's rep such as Bob at QSC.

8. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Hey... not all Crown gear is front to back. Most of them are actually front to side. RTFM. :)

I can speak from experience here - Macrotechs and Microtechs need to have a couple of inches on the sides where the hot air comes out (per Crown). Put one in a standard SKB case and there will less than 1/2" on each side - not a good thing, esp. if you play loud and on hot days.

K1's and K2's definitely need a free space on the top. CE's are narrower than the Microtechs and they are fine in SKB's without any free spaces.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, which is why all you have to do is monitor temps and determine if your gear is getting too hot or not.

Did I cover your amp, Mike?

Nightbass

9. Yep. There ya go... total brain fart on my part. RTFM. :D

10. ColForbs

ColForbs

Jul 21, 2001
    I am pretty sure Stewarts need 1/2" space on each side.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    "RTFM"

I just figured out what that means :D
    that is really funny!

sorta like NFG, POS, ASAFP, ***, etc.

someday I will have a rack... :cool:

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have a question about power amps:

if 2 power amps have the exact same amount of power and they are 2 different brands, say Mackie and Mesa Simulclass, will it matter which one you use? Will it affect your tone in any way? Mesa Simulclass are guitar power amps, will it matter if you use them on a bass rack?

just curious...