Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp limiters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Mar 5, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    When you run your power amps for your bass rigs, do you engage the limiters or generally leave them off?

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I have low frequency limiters on my QSC 2402PLX (30 and 50Hz). The channel that drives the 2-10" is on @ 50Hz, the other channel limiter to the subwoofer is off.

Before the sub arrived I used the 2-10" with the limiter set off and finaly on @ 30Hz and couldn't hear any difference in tonal quality. So I'd suggest using a limiter just to be on the safe side especialy if your using a high powered amp and you bump around in the dark.

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Wait a minute, Vic, QSC amps have clip limiters, and they also have separate 30 Hz or 50 Hz high pass (low-cut) filters. It's not clear from your post which you were using.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Chucko58 your absolutly correct. I intended to say I'm using the QSC's input low frequency "filters" and insted of the word limiters. Thank you.

I do use the clip limiters on both channels.