Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp, live wattage, can you tell me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I have never really looked into this since I have sTarted getting a band together, but i just wanted to know how many watts you need at how many ohms for live shows. i was thinking of buying the SWR Workingmans 8004 full stack 800watt 8 or 4 ohms, but i don't know if that is too much, too little or what? thanks- _-Soto-_
    Oh and is 800 watts for a live show enough? Should i get more?

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I use 300 watts through a 4x10 and it's plenty loud to keep up with my guitarist and drummer.

What kind of music? What other instruments are you playing with? Do you plan on using a DI into the PA?

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    thanks. really? well we play metal-punk-funk, lolz, i have no idea what category that is in though. but how loud would everything together (not including bass) for me to be louder than then (i wouldn't be, but it would be nice to have the capability to). the SWR Workingmans 8004 big rig full stack is 800watts and looks nice as hell. hopefully that would work. any other suggestions?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It'll work. 600 good, 800 better.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Watts in only part of the picture - the big issue is efficiency. I guarantee that a 200W Acoustic 360 1x18" folded horn cab would absolutely drown out my 1000W Acme rig.

If I'm not mistaken the Pro line of SWR cabs are quite a bit more efficient than the Workingmans cabs - you may want to see if you can get away with just one Goliath III rather than a full stack of Workingmans gear.

Alex

6. If you're going with the full stack, don't forget to set aside some money for a van and several visits to the chiropractor. In all seriousness, 500W would be plenty of power and buying more is not necessarily overkill. I would recommend buying one high quality 4x10 cabinet instead of two cheaper 4x10s. Unless you're playing 5,000 seat venues, the full stack might look cool, but it is more than you likely need. In my opinion, anybody that pushes two 4x10 cabinets hard in a club size venue is playing way too loud and just asking for the soundman to take them completely out of the mix. Take one cabinet and let the PA do the work.

7. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah, but you gotta think about the fact that not all bands are playing places with a large pa. i have to be able to compete with a hot-rodded marshall plexi, an old, LOUD, mesa dual rec, and an extrememly loud drummer. the only pa at the shows we usually play (at least most for now) is for vocals.

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    thanks, sounds good, i think i'll go with the workingmans 8004, i mean, its 800 watts, with a nice amplifier/head and its only 1400, compared to a goliath which is like 1400 for just the amp. so i think i'll save the money, anyone have one?

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Before buying (the Workingman's-or any other), I strongly recommend that you take your bass to various shops and TRY a selection of rigs that are in your price range. I am very happy with my different rigs, but they might rot for what you are wanting to do. This (and other) forums are a great place for ideas about gear, but in the end, YOU are the one that it must please. Tone and sound are so subjective that you really need to take a deep breath and trust yourself. After all, it's YOUR tone!

Kim

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I think you would proably be better served to invest in a good poweramp(QSC,Crest,Crown,Yamaha)and a real good preamp (Alembic,BBE,Sansamp,or believe it or not Peavey) you will certainly have all the head-room that you need just invest in a good enclosure.Lately there have been a lot of players using these bass enclosure called Avatar,supposedly they are real good for the price.I'm not sure what's the website address but I'm sure that are players here at TB that does know the web address.Hopes this helps