Power amp ohmage question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kronos, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Alrighty...another thread in the "upgrade my behringer rig" series of threads.

When running cabs out of my power amp, I run each cab out of a separate output, therefore I have 2 separate volume controls. IIRC, this is running them "parallel".

Both cabs are 8ohms respectively. Since there are 2 separate power amps inside the unit, does that mean that each cab is running on 8ohms? Or is it still combined to get 4 ohms?

Reason why I ask is because I was thinking instead of replacing my whole rig, just adding another cabinet, and running the Behringers in series out of one output (4 ohms combined) and the other cab (a 410 from Avatar once I get the cashola at 4 ohms), hopefully making my ohmage 2 ohms altogether.

FYI: my power amp is capable of pushing 2ohms.

Thanks again!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    1. The proper term is "impedance", not ohmage.

2. Yes, you are running each side at 8 ohms the way you described.

3. Its Behringer, so many here will default with the suggestion that you replace your rig when you give that option. If it works for you, consider keeping it since its money already spent.

4. Me personally, if I added to the Behringer rig, I would buy non-Behringer items and keep them if/when I decided to dump the rest of the Behringer stuff later.
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm definitely going to get Non behringer items...in the previous threads I posted, I talked about how I bought the stuff before I joined TB and learned all the horrendous stuff that goes on. I needed some larger gear that was inexpensive for gigging.

I'm looking for going with Avatar since money is always a consideration (live on my own in an apartment-no roomies-all bills on me-not making a lot).

I was considering this because I have trouble competing with my gutar player and drummer...and in the previous thread, I was given info that my cabs are HIGHLY inefficient. So, I was looking to increase my volume without spending tons of cash.

BTW, thanks for the correction in terms.
  4. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you play good, and the band is balanced, only .000001% of your audience will even care what brand of equipment you have.
  5. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Believe me, if I cared what the audience thought about my equipment, I wouldn't be playing because the Ampeg gear I want is way out of my range.

I'm more concerned with volume.