Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Oct 6, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Any thoughts on Samson power amps? I am about to purchase 2 (the S1000 and the S700). I like them for the weight, less rack space, and they sound very good with the limited trials I have done with them. The sales rep has put it in writing that i can reurnt them in 10 days if I dont like them. I would like some itelligent opinions. I will be running them into 2 Eden 410 cabs and 2 Peavey 118 cabs with a tube preamp, crossover, and a stereo 15 band EQ.

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    If you could time your purchase so you can gig with the rig within the 10day period it will help. Ten days aint a lot.

jc

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Your right and that is exactly what i am doing. I just wanted some other opinions/experiences on any quirks or reliability issues. Thanks for your reply jc.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats why i am asking for opinions, i have never used them.

5. Due to recent decreases in price from QSC, Lord Valve AKA "Fat Willy" has some EXCELLENT deals going right now on QSC PLX and RMX series amps. I'd far rather use any of these than anything Samson makes.

Here are the prices he emailed me:

MODEL # 8 OHMS 4 OHMS 2 OHMS BRIDGE LIST YOUR COST
    (DELIVERED!)

PLX-1202 200 325 600 1200 $858 $509

PLX-1602 300 500 800 1600 $1198 $599

PLX-2402 425 700 1200 2400 $1498 $799

PLX-3002 550 900 1500 3000 $1798 $899

PLX-3402 700 1100 1700 3400 $2098 $1099

MODEL # 8 OHMS 4 OHMS 2 OHMS BRIDGE LIST YOUR COST
    (PLUS SHIPPING)

RMX-1450 280 450 700 1400 $649 $429

RMX-2450 500 750 1200 2400 $899 $579

(sorry for the formatting, it really needs a monospaced font to make it easy to read)

I'm not affilliated in any way with Willy, other than as a very satisfied customer. I bought my PLX-2402 from him before the prices went down, and even then he had the best prices of anyone I could find. Here is the contact info for him:

"Lord Valve" LORD_VALVE@prodigy.net
    You can place an order via telephone AFTER 1:30 PM Denver
    (Mountain) time, Monday through Saturday, at the following
    number:

303-778-1156

[Edited by michaeln on 10-06-2000 at 07:34 PM]

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Michael,

Those are great prices. Every place I've checked sells the 2402 for $1050. There's not much info on Lord Valve's web site. He's really legit, huh?

Bob

7. Yeah, very legit. He's a fixture on rec.audio.pro and has been for many years. He's obviously not a website designer though. ;-)

I've bought tubes and my PLX-2402 from him, and I've recommended him to a bunch of folks who have bought QSC amps from him, and all have been impressed with his service.

He's a very straight-up guy, you won't have any problems with him.

8. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    IMHO poweramps (at least the solid state ones) should have no specific "sound" at all. They just make it louder.

I was told by a sound engineer whose experience I really appreciate that "If two power amps sound significantly different, at least one of them is broken."

When it comes to poweramps, don't compare sounds. Check guarantee, reliability, impedance (Can I go to 2 ohms?), size, weight, but not sound.

Worst sound you can have is no sound at all because your power amp is overheated, broken, beyond it's limitations.

9. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Although I usually think of power amps as not having a sound of their own, I don't agree that they cannot have slight sonic differences, even when operating normally. There can be significant differences in damping factors between amps, which may cause one to render sounds muddier than others; how much they distort (THD, IM) can also become audible; and there are perhaps other things, such as slew rate, that can make for slight audible differences. So it can be legitimate that someone claims one amp sounds better (for his/her application) than another.

Another thing is (for solid state amps, anyway), things can get a little out of whack (transistor bias, for example), and that can affect the sound, too.

Lately, I've started to consider total power draw as another possible factor. If you have a big, inefficient power amp that draws a lot of amperage from the power line, the line voltage may sag more than it would with a similar amp whose efficiency is higher. The voltage sag might contribute to audible differences (such as early clipping) as well.

- Mike

10. While I agree that power amps should not color the sound, the fact is, many do.

I have found, for instance, that the Mackie 1400i I had has a very soft, soggy-sounding bottom end compared to the QSC PLX-2402 I use now. The QSC is MUCH more solid and punchy sounding.

And for old guys like me, weight is a significant issue in power amps. All of the QSC PLX series amps weigh 21#, which is pretty significantly lighter than most conventional amps that don't use switching technology. If I was 18, I might not care, but I'm not, so I do. ;-)

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Has anybody used any Stewart products?

12. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm using a Stewart PA-1000 and really like it. I've used Carver power amps in the past and they sound good but this Stewart sounds even better. It has more power and the increased headroom really lets the bass sound "breathe".
    It also runs very cool so it must be efficient.

Chuck