power amp or not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kboyd, Feb 2, 2003.

1. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    What would be some pros and cons if I ditched my ampeg B2R head and got a carvin 1000 watt power amp and a sansamp RBI pre to replace it. I would have more power and a great preamp for very little more than what I spent on the Ampeg...What am I missing here?
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You'll be missing ampeg tone. But lots of people like the RBI too. You also can't try out the carvin before you buy it, but their power amps have a decent rep. I say go for it.
  3. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Instead of an RBI, I might just put the Ampeg SVP. But then I am jumping up in the cost. Think I'll look into it.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    With an RBI, you'd still have the vast majority of the SVT tone plus a bunch of others. I want to be buried with mine - in fact, I'm considering picking up a Landmark 600, which is basically a pair of RBIs in a 600W head.
  5. Heres a thought...

Unless you are aiming for a new tone, this is what i would do. Just get the power amp (possibly a better one because you will save money) and use your b2r as the preamp...just a thought
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What you're missing is that a 1000w power amp won't have as much volume as you think it does. I've done the experiments and I've always got a better tone and more volume from a bass head designed for bass guitar than a power amp designed for PA. I'm not a fan of using power amps for bass. Though I haven't tried any of the power amps made by Bass amp manufacturers (SWR, Eden, GK etc) and would like to hear from people who have...

Also don't let the numbers fool you. A 1000w amp is apparently not that much louder than a 400w amp. According to the gurus on talkbass, doubling the power doesn't double the volume, you need to go for 4 of 5 times the power to do that.
  7. to be exact its ten times i.e. 100 watts is twice as loud as 10 watts
  8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    get you a crest LT1000 which is 1200watts at 4 ohms and weighs 27Lbs and then buy you an ampeg preamp if thats the sound you want.
    The crest is a much better power amp and doesn't weigh a butt load. Plus the price isn't bad. You can stay well under a grand with the preamp and amp setup. Plus have a much nicer setup and if you ever decide the ampeg isn't for you all you have to do is sell the preamp and buy something else.

if you have any questions please ask