1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp output to speakers question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BobaFret, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Very simple question. I'm pretty versed on at least the basics of ohm loads and such but have never seen this question answered ( or asked ).

If I have a two channel power amp can I connect an 8ohm speaker to one side and a 4ohm to the other. Obviously the volumes would need to be adjusted to be close but I want to know if this is a NO NO thing to do.

The power amp in question can do a 2ohm load so it shouldn't be an issue. More curious if each channel ( not bridged ) operate independently of one another so I'd know what wattage is supposed to be going out to a given speaker.

I guess it's more than one question. :D

Here is what the manual says but it never really answers my question.

1 channel 8 ohms: 260w
    2 channels 8 ohms: 225w
    1 channel 4 ohms: 400w
    2 channels 4 ohms: 350w
    1 channel 2 ohms: 600w
    2 channels 2 ohms: 500w
    8 ohm bridge: 700w
    4 ohm bridge: 1000w

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Yes.

Each channel in the power amp is independant of the other.

3. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    So I should expect to get 400w out of the 4ohm side and 260w out of the 8ohm?

I appreciate your input.

4. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    You are right

5. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    This is excellent news. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, on stereo power amps, the 2 sides should be independent and it would be safe to do so. On a less relevant note, matching volume and power/driver may sometimes be more desirable than just matching wattage.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I've been doing this for about a decade with no problems.

8. The setup will work fine, but I doubt you'll get single channel power out of either side. The power amp specs indicate there is a sag when both channels are used. Instead of 260/400, I would expect something closer to 225/350.

That said, don't worry about it - it's a minor difference.

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Not so simple, because it looks like both side are drawing power from the same power source (transformer). Notice how the wattage drop when both channel are in operation when compare to just one channel operating.

So, with both channels running you should get, 225 watt on 8 ohm and 350 watt on 4 ohm for at total of 575 watt. And it is totally safe to do so.