Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp Poll!! Whats the best

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lord Byron, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Aguilar

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. Ampeg

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ashdown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Carvin

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Eden

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Fender

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. GK

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hartke

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Mackie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Peavy

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  11. QSC

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  12. Sunn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. SWR

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  14. Trace Elliot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. What do you think are THE power amps?

2. Well I come from more of the pro audio end of the spectrum. So it changes how I look at Power amps. QSC is my favorite one up on the list. The QSC Powerlight series are pricey but the weight to performance ratio is one of the best. My personal favorite is probably the Crown Macrotech series. Built like a brick, and tons of headroom.

-Nate

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When weight, money and rack space are no concern - this one, or better two of em :D

[​IMG]

Glockenklang Bugatti 400

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
  5. Some things you may want to consider, besides our opinions, when buying a power amplifer (or other piece of electronic gear):

Is there a repair facility nearby? If not, you will pay freight and insurance to ship your amp if it ever needs service. Nothing is damage proof. Nothing. Sometimes, the most reliable equipment ever built will fail because someone made a mistake when using it. Or, the electricity (or lack thereof) you feed it can cause damage.

Is the user’s manual available online? You may be surprised at how handy it is to have this information available, no matter where you are, by just accessing the net.

Is the schematic diagram available online? Again – since nothing is damage proof, if you have a buddy who knows electronic repair, he may be able to take the schematic and fix your amp for $50 in an hour…. vs. $300 and 2 weeks, waiting for your amp to ship to the repair facility and back.

“I’ll just buy something that never breaks.”

Sure you will….:D

(crown macrotech or qsc mx);)

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Solid advice bimp.

7. Thanx, E.

:)

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I said carvin... because that is the poweramp I use.. and it works most nicely. I haven't had any problems with it. It wasn't expensive. 1500 watts for under $500 is a great Deal IMO.. It doesn't color my tone, I like it.

9. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    im a fan of ampeg myself.
    they have got some sturdy stuff from what i have seen.
    thats my 2 cents...
    for what its worth

10. Working with both bass and sound reinforcment, I have to go with Crown Macrotech and K series.

11. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I voted Carvin because it's what I own, and the only power amp I've ever used :D From what I've heard QSCs are excellent as well.