Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp pricing.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK. Let's use the QSC PLX range (note British style) as an example. The PLX 1202 costs $600. The PLX 3402 costs $1,200. Both amps weigh 21 pounds. Presumably, they have nearly identical input sections. This means that there is arguably $600 worth of better components in the 3402, since the labor is about the same. Now the 1202 has Class AB circuitry, while the 3402 has Class H, two-stage circuitry. This is $600 worth of parts. Don't lay "bigger output transformers" on me. The amps weigh the same.

It's kinda like cassette tapes and CD's. It's hugely less expensive to produce CD's than cassettes. They charge twice as much for CD's because they can.

So the question is: Are we paying for more/better pieces/parts, or are we paying for watts?

Say, Bob ... oh Bob ...

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    As I understand it (which could be wrong) the RMX-1850HD is essentially a de-powered RMX-2450. So it sounds like they are otherwise (nearly) identical. Yet the 2450 costs about $100 more.

I'm sure that pricing a product line has many other economic/marketing factors than simply cost of parts and labor and any sort of "price fixing" like CDs vs. cassettes.

3. I'm buying a used RMX850 for my rig. Anything wrong with those?

4. I think this is bigger than Bob. I think that it's a conspiracy of sorts and that Eden is behind it.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Auto-Response generated by organic computer:
    Keyword search for RMX850--
    (like Nike says, "Just do it.").

Note to all potential thread hi-jackers:
    "Just don't do it."

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I think you're too late.

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
  8. You pay for the smoke. Although they look similar, the 3402 has a lot more smoke packed inside it than the 1202.

You will realize this if you ever truly abuse them and have the smoke come out. The 3402 will lose a lot more smoke and hence a lot more value than the 1202.

:cool:

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like the little man behind the curtain isn't any bigger, but the levers he's working are a little more complicated and he can shout louder.

;)

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I assume this to be true, but we're talking about a difference of $600 here. I will bet that much that there aren't $600 worth of components in either amp.

11. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    A Porshe and a Volkswagen weigh about the same, yet one is more expensive than the other. Why is that?

12. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    isn't it illegal to have hood ornaments in the us these days? I mean the stick up kind?

;)

13. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    The company is looking for a profit. They are actually making the prices lower so that idiots like us will buy their stuff. Especially for QSC. Top brand, they can charge much more than they do as long as people think theyre better. They figure if people need more, then we give more and take more in. Y else would there be 1200 watt amps?

It kinda confuses me too but do you catch my drift. Munji, I agree that 600 bux arent put into that. Maybe 599. And we are paying for watts or else wed get lil mini amps that are like .2 watts right???:confused:

14. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    The only impact cost of manufacturing has on product pricing is whether or not it is feasible to continue producing a product.

Price is set by supply and demand alone. If cost of production is too high - then sooner or later the supply will drop. Perhaps driving the price up to the point that it tempts some other fool to produce it again.

But I suspect, after the Mesa post and this one, that you have already reached your conclusion and this is just an attempt to stir the pot.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, I know all that econ stuff. I recited it all in response to the "Is the Fodera really worth $6,000?" question. I run a large business myself. I have no conclusion. My question is: How much more does it really cost to produce a PLX 3402 than a PLX 1202?

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Besides the power supply, the main differece (I imagine) would be the number of output transistors. Since I have no idea how much each one costs or how many the diff. models have, I won't go there, but besides the cost of the actual components in the amp, there's several other factors: R & D costs, assembly, quality control, marketing, warrantee service, etc.

I am pretty sure that there is not as big a cost difference as the difference in prices between models, but that's probably part marketing (if the least and most powerful models are only $100 apart, 90% of the customers would only buy the most powerful model), also they may average out the expected profit (they might not make as much money on the lower powered amps and make more profit on the more powerful ones).

I see your point, but I also see the company's logic (I think).

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    R&D, assembly, QC, marketing, etc. are probably close to the same for each model. The part I highlighted in red is the root of my question. I suspect that to be the case. So the price of the more powerful models may be more related to number of watts than cost of manufacture.

Someone above made the comment that QSC is actually selling the amps for less than they could. That wouldn't speak well for their market analysis. I'm sure they've spent a pretty penny investigating where they fit in the marketplace. The primary function of any business is to enhance the wealth of its shareholders. QSC may love us to pieces, but if they're selling their product for less than the market will bear, their executives are not doing their jobs.

Now for all you folks who want to "get my mind right," I am a capitalist, and if I owned a piece of QSC, I'd do the same thing. This is just a conversation here.

18. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Then what seems to be the problem?

Answered your own question!

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The other side of the reasoning for charging less than they could get is of course, volume of sales and hence market penetration.
    They would rather get a larger market share and less per unit than the other way around. Either way they (theoretically) would make the same amount of overall profit.