Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp problem...help! (probably simple)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Amp tech gurus...help! :hyper:

Okay, I got a TubeWorks MosValve power amp and it's acting a bit strange. When I power it on, it takes about 2-3 minutes for the volume to be "stable". What I mean is, when you first turn it on and play, the sound volume is low or muffled, then fluctuates up and down. I then have to turn the volume knob up and down and finally, it will stabilize. :confused:

Hasn't really been a problem until last night at the show where it did that mid-song. NOT COOL. So it went from nuisance to a problem.

I would say it could be a tube problem, except for one thing...it has no tubes. Solid state, only tube-sounding. Only known problem: Scratchy master volume pot. Other than, seems to work properly.

Ideas? I'd hate to take it to some tech guy and get my butt kicked in fees (unless I had to). Thanks a lot TB! :D

-T

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That scratchy pot could easily account for the other symptoms. Get some Caig De-Oxit and spray a little into the pot. If that doesn't work, take it to a tech and have the pot replaced. It could be a bad solder joint on the pot too.