Power amp problem...help! (probably simple)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Amp tech gurus...help! :hyper:

Okay, I got a TubeWorks MosValve power amp and it's acting a bit strange. When I power it on, it takes about 2-3 minutes for the volume to be "stable". What I mean is, when you first turn it on and play, the sound volume is low or muffled, then fluctuates up and down. I then have to turn the volume knob up and down and finally, it will stabilize. :confused:

Hasn't really been a problem until last night at the show where it did that mid-song. NOT COOL. So it went from nuisance to a problem.

I would say it could be a tube problem, except for one thing...it has no tubes. Solid state, only tube-sounding. Only known problem: Scratchy master volume pot. Other than, seems to work properly.

Ideas? I'd hate to take it to some tech guy and get my butt kicked in fees (unless I had to). Thanks a lot TB! :D

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That scratchy pot could easily account for the other symptoms. Get some Caig De-Oxit and spray a little into the pot. If that doesn't work, take it to a tech and have the pot replaced. It could be a bad solder joint on the pot too.