Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Alright, so we're gigging a lot now, and my power amp is kind of getting stupid on me.

My amp rates at 500W/channel @ 4 ohms, but it seems like it's clipping all the time. It's a Peavey PV1500, and the DDT light comes on pretty much constantly. I have the amp up all the way, and my pre adjusted to taste, but no matter what, when I have to turn it up to even hear it very well, it seems to clip.

So I went and got a new speaker cable (from GC, and they said it could handle bridging as long as my amp has a Speakon out for bridging), and so I tried that, but it seems to STILL be in the red most of the time!!

I donno. Just time for a new amp, or bigger cab, or what? I'm running a Schro 1210, btw. Something weird with my pre, considering it's tube and stuff (Demeter VTBP 201s)?

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I was having problems with my QSC when i first got it, it was doing the same thing. I later found out I had the switches on the back set wrong. I don't know if the Peavey's have these or not but I would def. look into it.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah I've read the manual and everything and have it set right, to the Bridge-Mono mode (it's a recessed switch you need a "tool" to switch On/Off), but the two still sound about the same volume. On the back I have channels A/Bridge/B, and plug the Speakon into the Bridge, but still no luck... Maybe it's just underpowered, who knows?? :(

4. You should hear a huge difference in volume in Bridge mode. If not, something is not set up properly, perhaps the Speakon connector isn't wired properly for Bridge mode....despite whatever Guitar Center says.

Try removing the Speakon connector (no soldering required) and wire the bare wires directly to the red binding posts, that way you will be hooked up to Bridge mode for sure.

P.S. This amp is rated 1500 watts into 4 ohms in Bridge mode. There's no way you should be underpowered.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Ok, on my cable I've got black and white connectors, both going to separate screwed-down I guess posts. Which do I connect to which?

Serves me right for buying ANYthing I'm not 100% on from GC...

6. You've got two red binding posts, since you're only running one cab it won't matter which way you put them (the polarity). One wire on one red binding post, the other wire on the other red binding post.

7. And make sure the crossover and low cut switches are out, and you're plugged into Channel A. (I don't have the manual on the screen anymore, so check which way the buttons should be pushed).

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Nevermind!

I figured it out, I think.

All I need to do is just hook up say for example, the white cable on 1+ on each end and the black cable on 2+ on each end and I'm golden, right? Cause that's what I'm doing. :)

9. I'm talking about the red binding posts on the back of your amp. For now, forget the Speakon connector.

You've got two wires, one white and one black. Put one wire on the red binding post on the back of your amp, the other wire on the other red binding post.....

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Sorry I guess I misinformed- I've got a Speakon-to-Speakon speaker cable, not banana-to-Speakon. And the amp has a dedicated "Bridge-Mono Out" Speakon out, as well as the A and B channels.

11. Yes, I realize that, but I'm not sure that the end you were plugging into the amp was correct. That's why I said to remove the Speakon. Your amp is also set up to bypass connectors altogether, that's what those "knobs" are on the back of the amp below the speaker output jacks. These "knobs" are called binding posts. You can connect wires directly to them. ( You can also use banana plugs on them) You'll see, going from left to right, a black binding post, a red binding post, another red binding post, and a black binding post.

Hook your speaker wires up to the two red binding posts on your amp.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Gotcha. Yeah I knew you could hook cable right to the binding posts, but didn't know how safe it was and easy to transport like that!

13. Usually those binding posts are used in fixed installations, but some people will solder "spade" terminals on the ends of their speaker wires, connecting the wires to the binding posts every gig...This was more common in the days before Speakon plugs.

14. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Have you got channel 2 vol turned to zero? I just learned you're supposed to do that with monobridging. MY