1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svp, Apr 27, 2015.

1. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have switched to using a pre-amp power amp set up and I have been told there is a difference in low end response between a class H (crest audio ca6 or ca9) and a class D (QSC PLX series). If there is a difference, is it enough that I would be able to tell (I don't have an issue with the extra weight) I just want my rig to sound as good as it can. Thanks for the help folks.

2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Which one did you switch to?
    I have extensively used both. No possible way I would go back to the heavyweight amp.

Really, we obsess about our equipment for ourselves - not for anyone else. If you think the "lead sled" sounds better chances are you are not going to be happy unless that is what you have.
    Life is too short not to have the exact gear you want.
    For me, light weight all the way.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The only thing an amp's class tells you is the architecture of the design...not the sound it produces. On the Crest thing... I'm reminded of something that an engineer who's involved in amp design for bass amps has said:

So...not because it's Class H, but because of how other factors have been worked.

4. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    The weight difference is not the issue, I don't want to spend the extra money for the ca6 or ca9 if it's not going to make a noticeable difference. I was having a conversation with the gentleman who owns the company that built the cabinet I use and he said if it was him the only power amp he would use would be either the ca6 or ca9, just trying to validate.

5. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    BbbyBld said:
    The difference between a CA-9 and pretty much any other pro audio power amp that I can think of is that the feedback loop is tuned in such a way as to create a more resonant low frequency response similar to what many guitar/bass amp designers do to enhance low end. The CA-9 is the preferred choice of many sound companies for driving subwoofers for that reason. Some might say the CA-9 has an unfair advantage in A/B listening tests. This type of low end enhancement is usually better for lower powered amps because it's a way to raise the low freq SPL without eating up headroom. When you are talking about the 2KW and above class of power amps, I'd bet you could pretty much get the same sound with EQ, especially if you know the resonant frequency of your cab.

So would that design with the feedback loop be the same on the ca6? On average there about $200.00 cheaper on the used market and still have plenty of power.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Also keep in mind that the CA series amps are full depth, so not only are they 50lbs but they need to be housed in a full depth rack too.

Its a lot of extra size and weight for not enough payoff IMO.

I would find a Crest Pro Lite or Peavey IPR2 and be happy.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Supporting member to supporting member, what kind of $$ on the used market are we talking about here? I am very intrigued by this CA-9 post.

8. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Are the PLX amps class D now?

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I asked BbbyBld if the same was true of a CA6 and he claimed it was not. I have a CA6, but no CA9 to compare it to.