Power Amp question........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KIRKSFANGS, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Greetings !! - I am currently running an Alembic FX 1-B pre into a Crown CE-1000 power amp. The power amp clips whenever I "dig in" or slap , or whenever I go sub-"E". Tried a bunch of band aid remedies (compressor , etc) , and have come to the conclusion that the CE series isn't really suited for bass. I will be buying a Crown Macro-Tech 2400 soon and running it into a 4 ohm cabinet with 1x15" and 1x12" , and two bullets. The speakers are Eminence Omega series so the 12" is rated at 700 watts and the 15"at 800 watts. My question is should I run one side of the amp (800 watts @4ohms) or bridged mono (2070 watts @ 4 ohms) ?? Don't wanna blow anything up , which I understand is a possibility whether you under -power or over-power the cabinet. Any advice would be appreciated .....
  2. There's nothing wrong with that amplifier for bass. I'm wondering more about your cabinet like who made it, etc... It could be that you don't have enough power for the volume you're trying to achieve but it could also be that your cabinet isn't tuned properly for the drivers you're using. The Qts is a little high on that 15" for a ported enclosure, the 12" looks all right. If it was properly designed it should work well enough. So, what's the scoop?
  3. The cabinet is made by Brickhouse enclosures , a small company on Long Island that makes bass cabinets exclusively.The research I've done on the CE series seems to point at a lack of capacitors in the amp which causes it to "run out of gas" when a large amount of power is called for quickly , such as when slapping , etc. The amp , although rated at 1100 watts @4ohm bridged mono , does not produce this power constantly , but produces it on an "as needed" basis , which takes a bit of time , thereby creating the clipping issue. The Macro series is far better suited for the large demand for power that a bass guitar generates , at least that's what I'm told.
  4. That's good to know about the CE series amps. I had not ever heard that before and had known only that they were popular (due in part to their price point) among some bassists. I will definitely Take note of the info. Now we know it's not the cab and I apologize for any insinuation. On to the new amp! I think bridging the Macro-Tech will yeild you the best results. You'll run out of headroom too quickly only running a single channel.

Might I ask though why you'd choose this particular model and brand? There are a lot of excellent amplifiers available for a lot less money that will give you the performance you require. The QSC PLX 2402, 3002, and 3402 come to mind. There is also the Stewart World 2.1. I use a Peavey DPC 1400X bridged into an Acme Low B-4 and have never had it clip. That's almost twice the RMS wattage the cab is spec'd for but it's pretty inefficient (96db) as far as bass cabs go.

Off the top of my head (from the Eminence specs) it seems that the speakers (depending on the tuning of the box) are probably not super efficient. If he has the box tuned to go low then this is most likely the case. This will suck up power like a sponge so I would suggest going with an amp that is close to twice the rated wattage of your cab, in this case somewhere around 3000 watts. As far as "real world" use goes I think 2500 watts would suffice. I hope this helps!
  5. I've had similar experiences with the CE series... I've used them in a pro audio setup and when I give them any sort of "sudden" power, they freak a little on me too. Since then I've also switched to the macro-tech series and they do the job muuuuch better. I highly recommend them and will say that they are definately worth the money over qsc/peavey/mackie, etc. With amps, you ussually do get what you pay for. I'd also look into eden's WT1000 and if 1000 watts @ 4 ohms isn't enough, i beleive they're coming out with the wt1400 soon(I may be out of date and it may be out allready... check with the company). Another option might be the ashdown ABM APM 1000 EVO II. It's 2 500W amps side by side. Look into these, they might prove exactly what you need. If not, the Crown MT series kicks butt, you won't be dissapointed.
  6. Thanks for the help so far , gentlemen. Guy - I have heard very good things about QSC , the reason I am set on the Crown is that one has become available at a "can't refuse" price (less than $600). Should that deal fall through , I will certainly look into the other amps you suggested. Iar - thanks for the backup on the CE series - I thought I was doing something wrong with the amp ... LOL. Good amp suggestions as well , but for the reason stated above , I'd really like to grab this MT ...... Thanks again - Kirk
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting discussion. I've used a Crown CE2000 on quite a number of gigs with no problems whatsoever. Of course, at that wattage, perhaps I wasn't approaching the area where the 1000 ran out of steam. In any case, I've also had great results with a Stewart World 2.1 and it's very light/dual mono.