1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kewp, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    Been doing tons of overtime and am so tired I’m not thinking straight so excuse the dumb question.....

Looking at buying either a qsc plx power amp or a crown xls to use my Sansamp. I use a Ampeg neo 4x10 Cabinet which is 850 Watts @ 8 ohms. What is the most powerful model of those preamps that I can get away with without killing my Cabinet? My math skills are failing me at the moment...

Since I’m asking about them, I’ve read the plx would be the best for an SVT sound (I like the growl with lots of mids).

Thanx

2. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    It's doubtful either of these will sound especially SVTish, imo. If you really want an SVT sound you might try an SVT, or V4B if you want less weight/cost.

3. If it bridges to 8 ohm 1000w you can kill your cab pretty easily.

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Probably a PLX 1602 run bridge mono(1100 watts @ 8 ohms, 1600 watts @ 4 ohms). Just be careful. We run 4 ohm ACME B2's(350 W RMS rating) with QSC 2402(700 watts @ 4 ohm) but use a dbx 166xL compressor between the SansAmp and the power amp. Used the dbx manual "bass guitar" settings and then tweaked the controls for about 30 to 40 minutes at stage volume to make the compressor pretty much not hear at all but protect speakers at the same time. Andy at ACME said it'll sound great but be very careful, it'll be like driving an 800 horsepower car on the street.

IF you may get another cab, you can run the cabs parallel and still have enough to power them.
    https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/amp/discontinued/plx/q_amp_plxspec_specs.pdf

SansAmp + QSC PLX here does sound quite close to SVT(used SVT with 2 cabs for a little over a decade in the 70's to 80's).